SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delphi declarations...

Been digging through the docs and searching archives in this forum for some tip or trick for automating with Delphi. I'm trying to take declarations on a very simple Delphi app and the app is seen as a Dialog Box, which is ok, however, everything on the app is seen as "custom win" and that is going to be a problem. Does this need to be added in the extension enabler or something along that line? If so, how is this done? I don't see Delphi as an option. Do I enable it as something else?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Delphi declarations...

There is no extension or option for Delphi. Would be nice (maybe someday, Segue Developers?).
    You'll have to rely on "work-arounds". For a positive point of view, just explain to your superiors that automation can be done with SilkTest but, it'll just take more time. And for your own benefit, once you've gone thru these dozens of custom objects, you'll be an expert in dealing with them so working with other apps with a lot less custom objects will be a "piece of cake" for you.
    You'll have to use a lot of keyboard interface: the Tab, Arrow keys, accelerator keys such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, etc. plus copying/cutting and pasting to the Clipboard.
    You'll also be using a lot of location suffix and x,y coordinates in your declaration.
    Welcome to the club of Delphi apps testing!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Gilbert for the encouraging words!

If I could shoot you through the monitor screen... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You are welcome DJ Brown! The baddest meanest dud in the old downtown. ( :
    "Keep watching 'Just shoot me thru ur screen' while your thumbs and pinkies are still attach. The Samurai and Sushi knives under my keyboard are still very very sharp." hayaa haik haik ( ;
    I've asked Segue for the last 4-5 years already about Delphi support and so far...
    do this work-around here and that work-around there...
    So, in case you stumble on a tough Delphi control where work-around is almost impossible, you can always ask (beg) your developers to at least provide a way to set focus to that control or assign a short-cut key like Ctrl-A or Alt-V or in the case of the Delphi Grids ask for an option to be able to filter the list of rows/records where you can make SilkTest navigate easier using the navigation keys.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 06-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 06-06-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilbert,

We don't get a lot of Delphi code, but if I run into an insurmountable snag, knowing your experience with it, I may try to tap into that knowledge from time to time.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!

I'm in a Delphi shop, new to SilkTest, and I'm running into the same kinds of problems DJGray mentions. Gilbert, do you know of any compilations of the kinds of work-arounds you're talking about? Would be real handy to know which wheels have already been invented.

Thanks!

sm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry, Scott. Don't have or don't know of any compilation of "work-arounds" for Delphi. Most of the stuffs I know have already been mentioned here. You'll just have to experiment with how your developers did your AUT. From experience, some Delphi developers love to further customized already Custom objects (can you believe that?) just to stay as far as possible to the so-called Windows Standard. Don't know how many there are but these are the ones who usually would say "I hate Bill Gates" but, they don't want to be reminded that they are still making a living out of Windows.
    For invented wheels...hmmmm let's see...
    am I glad not to be one of those who QA'ed
    the Firestone tires (-;

Another option that Segue will tell you is the use of the Extension Kit (good if you are into programming) which of course is extra money. This one I have never tried.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 06-07-2001).]