User Tag List

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level of recognition for Borderless Table

I am using 5.5 and in it you have option to set the level of recognition for Borderless Table(0 - 1.0). Being new to WebTesing my question is if level is set to 0 would there be any issue since borderless table (I think) are only used for formatting.
    setting 1.0 makes go scripts a little faster This setting is the safest because we are guaranteed of always seeing the table. The drawback is that we must deal with all nested BLTs used for formatting.

Thanks in advance

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Level of recognition for Borderless Table

I do BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("ShowBorderlessTables",0,USEROPT_DEFAULT); which is to set the boarderless table recognition level.

With the above line I fixed a problem using DOM-IE5.5-win2k. The problem was it saw 1 level of nested table while there were no nested table.

I tested on a machine without similar problem and my script still works.

I am using silk5.0.3.2

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GodKnows,
    So you never saw a need for setting it to any other level but zero? because that's what I want to go with and I wanted to make sure if it is the right thing to do.

Also, How important are HtmlHidden objects which gets captured during 'record window declerations'. Is is safe to delete them from .inc file?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boardless thing is not very cool, since it all depends how your web page is written.

If you don't want tables under DOM and table are in boarderless style, then you set the recognition to 0 shown as above. In theory this will make silk not see any tables.

For VO you can use Agent.SetOption() to disable the tables recognition.

In any class captured by Silk, you can modified it the way you want. It will affect nothing, unless this object is used to access another object. See it as a tree, if you remove a root then you can't access the children. In this sense you can remove everything that you don't use(if all children of a root is useless remove this root)

------------------

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 06-04-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK is right. I've found that setting borderless tables to 0 works the best. I've looked at dozens of sites.

If anyone has an example of why you use a higher setting than 0, please let us know. After all if the table doesnt' have borders, then the table is probably being used to make things line up nicely. To the end-user (and the automation engineer), that fact is probably not critical. Accessing the object for manipuatation or verification is probably more important. Without extra tables, (especially nested tables), declarations are made much easier.

The aeweb3.inc library functions allow you to manipulate any HTML object WITHOUT concern for tables/no tables. This library is available free at www.automationexpertise.com.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

I find that using the borderless option other than 0 is useful for testing dynamically produced content within a page that is otherwise static, e.g. a table containing basket items.

Where as the rest of the page doesn't change, the actual basket (table) does change and so whatever content and hence attributes the table may have, you can handle this without it changing Silk's identification of other objects on the page (especially when you use index tags for objects #1,#2, etc).

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I can assume that going with level 0 is ok and BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("ShowBorderlessTables",0,USEROPT_DEFAULT); can be used for dynamically produced content.

John,
    Would aeweb3.inc work fine for 5.5 DOM, Also I couldn't get to that page. There is some problem in registering new user.

Thanks everyone.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beeblemaster,

I never worry about window declarations being complete for web sites anymore. For many sites, I advocate throwing away all of the objects and just keeping the BrowserChild objects. That way you can always tell what page you're on, but the objects are dynamic, (which they are most of the time anyway).

Also, I use a library of functions which make manipulating objects easier, as the functions will search all the tables on the page if the objects isn't found directly.

Examples.

Link ("Preferences")
    Image ("$submit_button")
    LinkPathClick ("/admin/svcs/details.htm")
    LinkPathClick ("?id=131553423")
    ImagePathClick ("uid=SteveButler")

or,

Login.HtmlTextField ("$userid")
    Preferences.HtmlLink ("Home")
    Details.HtmlCheckBox ("$sendmail")

The Link (), Image (), LinkPathClick () and ImagePathClick () are available in the aeweb3.inc include file which is available at automationexpertise.com as soon as the registration bug gets fixed. In the meantime, email me for the file.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,
    Could you please explain this part of your replay I kind of understand it, but not completely.
    "throwing away all of the objects and just keeping the BrowserChild objects. That way you can always tell what page you're on"

Thank you.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KS,

What I do on some web sites is record the window declarations, then literally delete all of the Html* objects, just keeping the window BrowserChild SomePage. When you record scripts, or identifiers, you use partially dynamic instantiation, such as,

Login.HtmlImage ("Submit") OR
    Preferences.HtmlLink ("Go")

Let me know if this clarifies.

------------------
    John W Green