User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems launching SilkTest 5.5

After Successfully installing SilkTest 5.5 on my machine (and rebooting), I received the following error message when I tried to launch SilkTest 5.5:

No License for 'SilkTest_GUI 5.5'!
    ErrorMessage: The communication with the License Server failed.
    Please make sure that SILK_CONFIG_PATH variable is correct and ls_<PRODUCER> is running.
    ErrorCode: 5

The following has been done:
    * SilkMeter and License Policy file successfully installed on the server (this was done prior to installing SilkTest 5.5)
    * I pinged the license server and had no problems with that
    * Checked the following files:
    - The SILK_CONFIG_PATH is set to c:\ProgramFiles\Segue\cfg
    - CosLicensingService.ref file (contained: IIOP://sacamano.int.westgroup.com:5461/CosLicensingService)
    - CosPropertyService.ref file (contained: IIOP://sacamano.int.westgroup.com:5461/CosPropertyService)
    - ls_segue.ref file (contained: IIOP://sacamano.int.westgroup.com:5461/ls_segue)
    - silkmeter.cfg file (contained: RunStandalone = false)
    - I also checked on the license server to make sure ls_segue (ls_<producer>) was running and it was.

I have sent this information to Segue and have not heard back yet. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen an error message like this?

Thanks for any help! I've read some of the other postings out here and I agree that this new version is a real pain to get installed and up and running!
    Sandy

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problems launching SilkTest 5.5

A few things could be wrong:

Do you have other SilkTest installations that are able to connect to the server? That will help determine a lot later on.
    What version of Windows do you have SilkMeter on? I found 98 gave me the same trouble.
    Did you try a wipe/reinstall of SilkTest, with variations to the SilkMeter server name? For example, BunkServer - BunkServer@Bunk.com - BunkServer@Bunk. You may have to play around a bit.
    Another thing, for some reason when I installed SilkMeter it gave me the incorrect name. My server name, for example, was QA_NO7_WIN2000. SilkMeter gave me back QA-NO7-WIN2000. (I might have those names bassackwards) This machine name, of course, could not be pinged. Try pinging the machine name, if you were using an IP address. The resolution in my case was to rename the stupid machine.
    BTW & FWIW, Segue will give you a checklist that is basic but good to go over - make sure the SilkMeter service is started on the server, make sure you can ping, etc. But it might just be that SilkMeter doesn't like the machine you have it on. It could be something really easy to overlook, like the machine name, but without a lot of goofing around you wouldn't know for sure.

Good luck....

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help styler! I do have the ip address of the server along with the server name in my host file. I double checked just to be sure.

I checked the license policy file and it includes a line for the serverid. Which now has changed because it is Windows 2000 Server so I'm still wondering if it possibly has something to do with this? There is no reference to the Host Name of the machine in the license policy file.

Thanks again for your help! I'll keep investigating...
    Sandy

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sandy,

It looks like the new error message you're getting may have something to do with that HostID changing. When I plugged in an old license policy file by mistake that had a different HostID and tried to start SilkTest from another machine I got that error.

If Segue states that they are handling the problem through SilkMeter than they may be able to offer some advice as to why you are still having problems. I just wanted to pass along my experience with that error.
    Did you mention to Segue when you got the license policy file that you were using Win 2K Server? Maybe the policy file needs to be set up differently.

If you were in contact with Segue today you should hear something back by tomorrow or Friday. They seem to get on the licensing issues pretty quick.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help SteveC! I did some investigating and found that the Server I installed SilkMeter on was named sacamano.nett.int.westgroup.com. When I installed SilkTest, it was looking for sacamano.int.westgroup.com. They are both valid and I can ping both from my machine so until I looked, I didn't realized that they were different. I now get the error message:

No License for 'SilkTest_GUI 5.5'!

ErrorMessage: No license available for this license server host ID.
    ErrorCode: 108

Still no word from Segue -- I've updated them with the latest error message. I have installed SilkMeter 2.2.2 on Windows 2000 Server. I know that the host ID of this machine changes every time there is a reboot. I was told by Segue that SilkMeter 2.2.2 addresses the changing hostid problem encountered on Windows 2000. I've checked with someone here that is launching Silk Performer and accessing the same Server Machine and he didn't have any problems. I will check into some of his settings and do some more investigating.

Thanks again for the help!
    Sandy

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the original problem you described. To fix it I had to add a line to my hosts file.

Put in your server IP address and the name you used during the install.

e.g.
    158.244.9.61 sacamano.nett.int.westgroup.com

Try this and you should be able to get into SilkTest. I got this tidbit from Segue tech. support.

On NT hosts is located in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc

On 9x it is in \windows. copy hosts.sam to hosts, and edit hosts.

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 05-30-2001).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandy,

We have encountered similar, though not identical, problems. We have installed on 15-20 servers -- NT/2000/Win98, some laptop, some not -- so we have had to resolve lots of problems.

The newer segue_hostinfo.exe (for SilkTest 2.2.2) did fix our Win2000 problem, but did not work in all cases for our WinNT machines. So we have abandoned using the hostinfo utility altogether. When we request a policy file from Segue, instead of sending in the host id generated by the the hostinfo utility, we send in instead the physical address of the SilkMeter machine's network adapter, obtained by running
    ipconfig -all >> c:\output.txt

You might at least try importing a new policy file with this info, and seeing if you can connect. I'm not sure if it will work for you, though, since your other machines seem to be connecting fine.

AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Problems, problems, problems....
    that's basically all I've been hearing so far on SilkTest 5.5. Segue has a QA department, right?

Sandy: Have you tried sending a copy of your problem description to Mr. Butler, Segue's CEO, so maybe he can discuss this issue with his architechs on this "silkmeter" technology? Maybe he can speed things up a bit since his support staff has been proudly announced to be all Computer Science people! It just sounds like they have to redesign/redo the whole thing to make the installation of SilkTest work properly!?
    ...just a thought...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 07-11-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I finally did find someone at Segue to help me (after countless emails and phone calls). I was told to use the HostInfo.exe that is found on the download site vs. the one on the CD. Apparently the one on the download site is newer. So, after using that, I sent them the new Host Info (which was now correct) and then Segue sent me a NEW License Policy file. Now it seems to work correctly. It sure was a long process though and very frustrating to get this all to work. I think in the near future we may need to be installing Silk Meter on a newer machine. I just dread the thought of going through the install process again.

Thanks again!! :-)
    Sandy

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DNS names can't contain _ characters while Microsoft machine names can. Microsoft make it clear in their deployment guidelines that if you use the _ character you will run into problems as the DNS name has the character translated to -.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast