SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting test run at a certain time with perl? batch file?

I need to be running my automated test script at a certain time (at NIGHT !!! when the server goes up) and need help on how to get this done with a script? Is it possible with perl? batch files? Any examples? Please point to me (or send me examples) where (that) I can start with.

Thanks alot for your help.

------------------
    Silverter - A profi was once a beginner
    Silverter - A guru was once a beginner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: starting test run at a certain time with perl? batch file?

Since SilkTest is a Windows application, just use the Windows Task Manager and the SilkTest command line arguments to start the test at your desired times and days.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Blackhog
    932 Hamlin Court
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    dgenrich@blackhog.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first idea will work very well. If however you want to let SilkTest execute the start up:

Set up a loop that sleeps for one hour, at the end of the hour check the current time against the time you want the script to start, if the times match execute the script you want to run, if there is more than 1 hour difference, sleep for an hour. If less than 1 hour difference sleep for 10 minutes then check the time again, until you reach the time you are looking for.

I have used this to execute a script up to 23 hours later than when the script was started.

You can also write information to the SilkTest status scren so you know how long before a script will start. If you would like some code to explain this let me know.

Mike

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks alot for all your replies. To be more specific about my problem: The tests I'm running need to access a server. This server goes up and down everyday at a certain time of the day, thus I can only run the tests between those specific times.

I run the test in a loop until the server goes down, at a time that is not specific, and this causes silktest to through and exception and stops the test.

When the server is up (at a time that I know) I want in a certain way to close the application under test, and tell Silk to restart the test run, saving the results of thew last run in a test file (or send it to me paer mail? is it possible?).

How canI achive this ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions...

------------------
    Silverter - A profi was once a beginner
    Silverter - A guru was once a beginner