SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Silk Machines accessing the same .t file

I have Silk installed on mulitple Machines and the scripts are present on one Server.
    All the machines use the same script file for testing.
    But when one person is using the script the other is not able to use it as it says it is used by another person but can see it in view mode. If we go in the view mode we cannot proceed because Silk then tries to open the .res file and it is not able to open it.

Any solutions for this is most welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multiple Silk Machines accessing the same .t file

One possibility is for each user to have a separate results file. This can be set in the runtime options dialog.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody should create their own .t file and call the same.t file from that file using 'Use'

Your .t file should show some thing like this.
    Ex:
    use "c:\test\same.t"

[This message has been edited by mansri (edited 05-22-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could U please tell me how I can do this programatically ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I am facing another problem here. Whenever the second person tries to access the script file it shows a message that this file can be accessed in view mode only. How do I go across that message. I do not want any manual intervention for that also. But I am not able to click that dialog box programatically
    Any solutions please ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your team uses testplan (.pln) and sets a results directory in Runtime Options, they shouldn't have to open the script file for execution. Multiple users opening the same testplan won't result in a message box the way scripts do.

Testplans offer numerous advantages.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking at your problem from a bigger picture point of view ... I don't run into this problem mainly because I have all of my SilkTest files in a version control tool and each user (person or machine) has their own workspace so there is no file sharing going on. Any reason why you're not using version control? Do your application developers use version control?

I didn't think of these file-sharing issues when I wrote my QUEST presentation on SilkTest Configuration Made Easier. I wouldn't have tried to solve your problem without version control - version control is a "given" for that presenatation. But I could've used your situation as examples for "arguing" the small points and for sure the bigger issue of big picture and long term planning in advance (before implementation).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not condeming or hammering you personally for not using version control (if that's even the case). I've actually had to make version control happen myself every place I've worked with SilkTest. My point is that if you take a step back from whatever your current problems are, you might see a bigger picture and thus a better long-term solution.

------------------