SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone using the Silk Radar Bug Tracking ?

Is anyone using the Silk Radar Bug Tracking Software in conjunction with SilkTest?

We are looking for a Bug DB and are considering free stuff like Bugzilla.

Any compelling reason to go for Silk Radar?

And does anyone know what's the ballpark price of this.

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is anyone using the Silk Radar Bug Tracking ?

SilkRadar is not a 100$ tool, you should calculate some more. Its cool - at least it is stable, easy to use (compared to ClearQuest), the client software (at least of the 2.1 version of SilkRadar) works very well.
    Administration of SilkRadar (like setting up email notification or managing the workflow), is not that easy - my recommendation is to set up a (small) second SilkRadar database for training purposes. I think it take around a week for an administrator to understand the program, then its easy. Each of the users need a two-hours-lesson of SilkRadar, then its all.
    Some customers of mine are working with SilkRadar, one of them have more than 25000 bugs which they manage with SilkRadar, and there are no limitations of the tool visible. And yes, I would recommend this tool.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use SilkRadar in my organization...er, the organization I work for.
    Training in the defect workflow idea is a good thing. A lot of people have a lot of different thoughts on how to move something between departments, for example. I query the SilkRadar database on a weekly basis to build charts in Excel, mainly on the status and location of defects by day.
    Without training in how defects should be properly moved from one department to another I have had to perform an almost inappropriate amount of work to get the chart queries and macros correct.
    The newest version of SilkRadar sounds good, although we haven't implemented it yet. Our offsite users will be using it's web interface and we'll also be moving to a Unix DB server. That should take care of some of the performance problems we've been having.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use Radar now but I did at my previous job and am a BIG advocate of it. I found the user-defined workflow to be quite powerful and sortof easy to maintain once I learned it. And it was TONS more powerful, more user-friendly, and easier to maintain than PVCS Tracker.

If your process is solid (design, development, documentation, testing) then the user-defined workflow is great because it lets you continue to use your process rather than forcing you to adopt its process (which is the case with most other tools I've evaluated over the years).

The limitations in regard to capacity and performance will be whatever is dictated by your choice of database to use with it. I used MS SQL Server.

I strongly recommend that you take the time to learn about setting up your own workflow and actually try a fwe different approaches as prototypes during your eval or at least before the actual implementation. I took 2 months to eval then after we bought it I ahd the fortune of being able to take 2 more months tosetup several different workflows and prototype them on my actual managers and users before we decided which approach to take and go "live" with.

I have also run head-on into the boundaries of the user-defined workflow. Segue knows about them but has not resolved them as of the the conversation I had at Quest with their person who gave a presentation on SilkRadar.

Regarding the other stuff you asked about ... I don't recall the price but that info is easy enough to get from Segue or a VAR and really shouldn't be advertised here anyway. I have evaluated and had to use several of the free or "very inexpensive" alternatives and haven't have any problem making the "you get what you pay for" argument. Ease of use from the users' point of view (once YOU get the workflow defined properly!) is by far the easiest selling point, especially when you compare it with the other tools, which you'll only be able to do after an honest eval in a near-real-life environment for your company or project group.

[This message has been edited by pcostigan (edited 06-11-2001).]