User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to handle localization

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KS:
    What is a better way to make .inc file ready to handle localization? Should I:
    a. Use 'Windows Ids' as tags?
    b. Use indexing as tags?
    c. Use language spicific tags. Different for each language (But this one is a lot of work)

Any suggestions or experience sharing!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My approach to this problem was to do the following:

1. Use Window IDs whenever possible in my window declarations. If a Window ID was not valid, then an Index might work in rare cases.
    2. Create a separate INC file for each language. This file contains only the strings that needed to be localized. For me, these strings included: DialogBox tags, drop down list contents, and a few other misc values.
    3. Use index values to make selections whenever possible. This is for controls like radio lists where the labels will change, but the order remains the same. Example: this.Select(1).
    4. Create "translation" functions for situations where your script must deal with strings. For example, a drop down list may contain values that are sorted alphabetically. Order could be different for each lannguage. The Select method could be redefined so that it translates an English parameter into the corresponding value in the localized INC file.

------------------
    Matt Gray
    Kofax Image Products
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John O'Neill and Charlie McGrory of Quality Automation did an excellent presentation at QUEST on this topic. There may be some useful information in their presentation slides to help you out. Here is the Web page that links to their PowerPoint presentation: http://www.segue.com/html/s_quest200...Tuesday_EB.htm

John is an excellent resource on this topic and is a frequent visitor here on QA Forums, too.

Hope this helps.
    Heidi Gilmore
    Segue

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to handle localization

What is a better way to make .inc file ready to handle localization? Should I:
    a. Use 'Windows Ids' as tags?
    b. Use indexing as tags?
    c. Use language spicific tags. Different for each language (But this one is a lot of work)

Any suggestions or experience sharing!

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great presentation! I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KS,

I don't have powerpoint installed, so I have not seen the presentation, and it may have answered your question to more than your satisfaction. Sounds like it did, but I'll offer this approach that we have found tremendously effective.

We have made use of Silk's multitagging feature to localize our scripts. This way you have only one include file, all scripts use it, and you make one change to affect all scripts. It looks something like this:
    <code>
    [-] BrowserChild ChannelList
    [-] multitag "#2"
    [ ] "Biblioteca" // Portuguese
    [ ] "Bibliothek" // German
    [ ] "Bibliothèque" // French
    [ ] "Library" // English
    </code>

Hope this is helpful.

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 05-18-2001).]

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJGray,
    Please correct me if i am wrong, I think the method you have mentioned is ideal but not easly maintainable compare to using Windows ID which is same in each language. But one thing I got confused over from the presentation (let me quote first from that presentation):

"Use the Window ID to tag child objects"
    "Use the caption to tag the windows"

I didn't understand why there is a different way to deal with Child Objects & Windows. Why not use Ids for both.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For forms, use the DOM tags, which don't require translation.

Ask developers to add id=? to other objects, so they have the same DOM tag on each language.

The AEWeb3.inc library includes the function:

LinkPathClick (STRING sLink, WINDOW wFrame optional)

This function will allow you to click a link based on a partial url. Often when a site is localized, the front end of the url is the same, and the back end is the same (ebay.com for example).

By using this function to click links (and also images), you can avoid doing any translation on most links.

Example:

English Link - Preferences www.mysite.com/services/new/preferences.htm

French Site - Preference
    fr.mysite.com/services/new/preferences.htm

In Silk, you can use

LinkPathClick ("/services/new/preferences/htm")

which will work on both sites without translation.

There is also an ImagePathClick () function which works the same way.

Hope this helps. You can download the library at the site listed below.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KS:
    DJGray,
    Please correct me if i am wrong, I think the method you have mentioned is ideal but not easly maintainable compare to using Windows ID which is same in each language. But one thing I got confused over from the presentation (let me quote first from that presentation):

"Use the Window ID to tag child objects"
    "Use the caption to tag the windows"

I didn't understand why there is a different way to deal with Child Objects & Windows. Why not use Ids for both.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please be aware that, for some development environments, IDs are not persistent across builds. Thus, you may not be able to use them reliably, and the multi-tag method is better.

As far as why not use IDs for main and child windows, that one is easy - main windows don't have IDs. Main windows have window handles, but they are allocated by the operating system dynamically.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

As Joe correctly pointed out Main Windows, Child Windows etc. (objects derived from the MoveableWin class) do not have windows IDs and therefore are tagged using caption.

DJGray's approach using multitags for those objects derived from the MoveableWin class is especially useful for concurrent testing of localised application versions.

In the presentation, we make reference to a plug-in used to test for cosmetic / UI errors (overlapping controls, clipped controls and hotkey errors). This plug-in will be made available to download for free over the forthcoming weeks.

The LRC (Localisation Research Centre) are running a summer school from 11th to 15th June and Quality Automation are hosting a one day hands-on course in localisation automated testing. For further information follow the link - http://lrc.csis.ul.ie/LRC/summerschool/index.htm.

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John O'Neill:
    This plug-in will be made available to download for free over the forthcoming weeks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For free???!

Automatrix

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast