Thread: Initial advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initial advice

Hi,

I am fairly new to SilkTest. I am going to start on Automation of one of Web Applications . I would like to get some expert advice from the Gurus on

What are the basic things to be brought in place before starting

What precautions to be taken before starting off

How to maintain the inc files & ini files for portability and maintainability

What are the best practices that people have known through experience

What are the most common mistakes that a beginers make

And finally what are the most dangerous things that have to be avoided

Any suggestions/comments are most welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Initial advice

One piece of advice is not to rely on recording testcases. This is great for finding out quickly what silktest code looks like, but the scripts produced tend to be sub-optimal in terms of maintainability, extensibility etc. Window declarations on the other hand, are essential, and effort put into getting these right early on will be repaid later.

Also, don't bother with bitmap comparisons. The only way these work are when you have the set-up exactly the same each time (same OS, same screen resolution, same colour settings, and most importantly, your app/website never changes in the way it is displayed), you will spend many hours/days checking through pairs of bitmaps that are slightly different but are the same in all relevant details. If you want to do comparisons on the displayed output of your app/site, use GetText() and such methods so that the script can read in displayed text. Another way which can work very well is comparing outputs to text file, if these are available from your app/site.

One practice I have found extremely useful is to separate out as much code from your testcase as possible; if you have two testcases with large chunks of similar code, see if you can separate it out into a function called by each testcase, or even better, a method of one of your windows or winclasses. Defining your own winclasses can be very useful when you have a number of very similar windows in your app/website.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything particular to advise that is not part of standard programming or testing procedure. For example, plan your testcases in advance, in order to best be able to code them in silktest in a way that optimises what silktest can do well and what it tends to fall down on. Also, set definite coding conventions for you and your team (or you, and whoever will come after you) in terms of variable and method names and suchlike, use comments very liberally etc.

For an entertaining guide as to how to write very very bad code see How to write unmaintainable code. This is more about c and java, but a lot of it's lessons are applicable to silktest also. I'm sure there are serious and well-written books and websites out there to do with coding and testing guidelines that are useful, I jsut don't happen to know of them.
    Hope this helps.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a couple of added tidbits to what vince said:

On Portability...
    - Any variable that would tie the script to a specific machine should be defined outside the script.
    - My team has gone to one shared include file for all scripts. We check this in and out when making changes to it. It is big, yes, but if it is well organized, this is not a problem.

On troubleshooting...
    - If you are testing java, and you have problems, 9.7 times out of ten, it will have something to do with your classpath.

I say that only half tongue in cheek. ;-)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to vince and DJGray. I appreciate Ur advice and look forward to more tips from others

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more idea.

Start with easy testcases. Do them really well. Do peer reviews to make sure someone else could maintain your testcases.

Build reusable modules. For example, if you need to fill out the same web form in 3 different testcases, write a function to fill out the form. Even better, define a record, enumerated type, and global variables to store the data which is entered into the form.

Use Silk Organizer and it's Attributes/Completion Report/testdata features.

***** Document everything really well *******

Check out the Silk Coding Standard at www.automationexpertise.com. Modify it to suit your preferences/needs.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com