SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setup requirements - your input appreciated!

Hello!

I'm taking on the task of introducing automated testing to our company through a pilot. I've been absorbing everything I can about SilkTest, as well as the good info included in "Software Test Automation" by Fewster & Graham.

Our product is fairly complicated - we have a standalone java application that works as a GUI to the server & db (we call it "the Configurator"), with the "client" being customized web pages. So for example, the Configurator sets what you can or can't see on the web page based on who you are (company, role, region, etc.)

At a high level, I believe what I want to do is:

1. Run a test case(s) on the java Configurator that sets specific properties.
    2. Run a query against the db to verify that the data has been stored correctly.
    3. Run a test case against the web page to verify that I am seeing the correct outcome.

We'll have a networked machine for the main server builds and db. I'll be running the java Configurator, as well as the browser tests from my machine, hitting against the networked server/db.

I understand that I'll need two test frames, but will I also need two agents? Can I do that on the same machine?

How should I handle the extensions, given the two types of apps?

What other good advice can you give me (beyond,of course, "buy lots of hair dye to cover the gray you're going to get in the next 3 months!")

Regards,

Carol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Setup requirements - your input appreciated!

Carol,

You don't necessarily need two test frames. You can declare your Java application and the Browser pages in the same test frame. You'll need to establish a "Base State", which is the default state at the beginning of each testcase. This can be either the Java applet, the browser, or neither.

If the Configurator and the Browser run on the same machine, you won't need two agents.

Silk can query directly from your ODBC database for doing DB verification.

Silk can recognize the object in most Java applets/applications effectively. It can learn the public methods and properties of custom objects.

Some additional ideas.

Start with simple tests. Do detailed test planning first. Get help when you need it. Don't struggle with the same thing for a long time. Hire a consultant to write specific tests/functions you need. Document your code.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In sum you have an admin app which is in Java and a client webpage using browsers.

I believe that java and IE/NS can co-exist as extentions. By default the remote machine extention is set to all(I believe). Your local(or host) machine extention is set to the one you picked at the install time.

Following config:

1 agent 2 testplan 1 machine
    2 agent 2 testplan 2 machines(1 testplan on each machine)

I prefer the second setup.

One thing to consider is that once you have your script running independently(do this first then integrate into a testplan)make sure that your tests can co-exist using java/IE or java/NS extentions for the local machine(host).

Remember that only one test can run per machine because of UI conflicts(imagine 2 silktest trying to move the mouse cursor).

If only silk used virtual window system, and multi-thread methods, you could have many more test per machine.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 05-17-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My primary AUT is a java app but I also need to work with browser pages a little bit. Our approach is below. It was setup by a consultant before I came onboard and I've never had problems big enough to re-think the approach.

- Install SilkTest with browser support (need this for the built-in browser window decs and functionaliyy).

- Copy DefaultBaseState into my frame file, rename as BaseState, adjust the code as needed to get the BaseState for my Java app to work as desired. Much of the adjusting had to do with getting rid of browser stuff.

- Testcases that work with the Java app use "appstate BaseState".

- Testcases that work with the browser stuff us "appstate DefaultBaseState".

- Testcases where I need to work with both are different. In my case I (almost) always need to manipulate the Java app first (to setup the test scenario) so I setup the testcase as if it works on the Java app (use appstate BaseState) then in the testcase code I do Browser.Invoke () and other things specifically to manipulate the browser pages.

------------------