SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a luck scripting MS office apps?

The tool I'm testing is basically a screen reader that plugs into all of the MS office apps. So, in order too design valid testcases, I need to be able to interact with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc., however whenever I try to capture the window decs for these, all I get are a bunch of customWins that stop just at the client area. For example, it misses anything which is within the actual document area of Word

I have tried to add a couple of the .exe's for several office 2k apps (Outlook, excel and Word so far) into the extensions window, with no better luck. Initially, I added them w\o specifying a primary extension for the .exe. later, I specified that the office .exe's use IE4 OCX as the primary extension. In neither case was I able to get the recognition to improve.

I was wondering if anyone had gotten Silktest to work with Office 2k apps and if they had any suggestions they could give.

thanks,

Peter

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone have a luck scripting MS office apps?

Peter,

Using the IE4 OCX, I've been able to see Html objects in Outlook.

It sounds like what you tried, adding Outlook.exe to Extension Enabler, then choosing IE4/OCX. SilkTest 5.5 has InternetExplorer as one of the popup options in addition to IE4/OCX. I'm not sure what the differences are.

I don't think you'll have much luck interacting with Word directly, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people have posted questions about MS Office apps, mostly Outlook. About a year ago I tried it for awhile and had absolutely no success. This was not a suprprise becasue I had already spent MANY hours trying to interact with things such as the Services and Network dialogboxes in the Control Panel with little to no luck or very icky code.

Don't go thinking this is just a SilkTest problem either. After talking with others who use competitor's tools we concluded that Microsoft just doesn't provide the API that automated test tools need.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS probably do have in-house tools to test their product, but they won't let you use it

BIG MS can't be doing manual testing on all their products on all the Windows version, the combination is just too big!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GodKnows:
    MS probably do have in-house tools to test their product, but they won't let you use it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't seen the development testing end of the operation, but from what little I heard of their localization testing effort, they do have a number of in-house tools produced by internal tool/utility groups.

According to hearsay and legend, some of these tools are very powerful and totally integrated with the various MS apps (as you'd expect!).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>BIG MS can't be doing manual testing on all their products on all the Windows version, the combination is just too big!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again from the localization perspective, a lot of the testing did seem to be manual (outsourced to partner companies), but incorporated the use of runtime testing tools.

At the time they were trying to incorporate a greater degree of 'traditional' automation into the entire process using various mainstream test tools.

Interesting...

Automatrix

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft Office products don't expose their objects to Silktest. Segue technical support explicitly states that silktest can not be used to test microsoft office products.

You might want to try VBA and export the results to files that silktest can read depending on what you are doing. There are no easy workarounds but there isn't much you can do with silktest other than verifying the application opened.

-Eric

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing you can attempt is to use different DLL in your system. Basically you can import any # of them into silk if you know how to map different data type in to 4test types(check mswfun32.inc for ex.)

Basically once you get a hold of the window ID and control ID or handles you can do anything to MS products.

Most likely you won't be doing anything of the above, so good luck anyways

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had very good luck with testing Microsoft products (Word, Excel, Outlook) however it takes a lot of time to set up all of the objects that SilkTest does not see.

I worked almost a week to get half of the Word screen to be noticed, and all of that time was creating the buttons and drop-down menus that make up the toolbars in Word.

Once I completed it though the window declaration code has been usable on multiple machines.

There are still some items that SilkTest cannot see, but I have found work arounds for most of these problems.

Mike

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike,

Can you please give out a result of your efforts...

Can you please let me know what are those settings you were telling about...

Baseer

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way to make Silk Test or other tools to recoginze custom objects in Microsoft Office applications since they are written in assembly language which is on lower level then C that Windows are written. However since MS applications do not change very often it is possible to create robust code for custom objects based on coordinates and relative positions.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast