SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Silk Remotely?

I debated if this message was off topic, but then decided it wasn't, since many of you are, or would like, to be doing the same thing.

I have a Windows Scripting Host (WSH) script that will run a SilkTest script. When it gets done, it sends my custom Silk log file to the QE group along with a summary report of what tests passed/ failed/ did not run.

Silk is on one system (\\SILK), but our builds are done on another system (\\BUILDER). What I would like to do is after the build gets done, have a command run that will execute the script on the Silk system, run the acceptance test, then let us know if it is good or bad via email.

So, both systems are Windows NT 4.0. How can I remotely start this script from the Build system?

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Starting Silk Remotely?

I found a way I could do this. On the \\BUILDER system, at the end of the build cycle, it runs the following command:

at \\SILK 11:15am /interactive wscript.exe d:\silk.vbs mat2.t mat2.log

Then then starts the WSH script on \\SILK and that in turn runs silktest with the mat2.t testcase and sends mail when it is all done.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya but what if the developer forgot to check in all the code and the build dies

Thats cool. Since you NT, you probably also have the NT ResKit. On that cd you will find some remote shell utilities. On NT you can run the deamon as a service, then from any win32 client execute rsh <command> <etc>. You could patch that into the end of your make file.

Plus AT is highly unstable, totaly lame and otherwise difficult to use on NT. Also on the ResKit is a WinAT version of AT (GUI front end).

You could also have Silk running, blocking (looping) until a file gets written or a message appears such as 'net send \\silk "Build done, get busy"'

Yadda... Yadda...

------------------
    Scott Kavanagh
    mailto:automater@mindspring.com
    mailto:thekman@mindspring.com
    Scott Kavanagh
    mailto:automater@mindspring.com
    mailto:thekman@mindspring.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In our shop, we test a web based application that works on both unix and NT servers.

We have a telnet daemon running on the NT machine that silktest is on. And on the NT web server. This allows us to write tcl/expect scripts to execute commands remotely on those machines.

The builds (for both OSes) are deposited for us on samba mountable unix drives.

expect/tcl is used from a cron job on a unix machine to verify both unix and NT nightly builds completed successfully.

If the unix build appears successful the cron job uses expect/tcl to install it on the unix machine.

If the NT build looks successful the cron job uses expect/tcl to telnet into the NT machine and start a silk script that drives Install Shield.

Then, expect/tcl and telnet are used to drive the silk machine and run the silk based smoke tests against both servers.

It's complicated, but it allows us to use unix cron (which is far more powerful than NTs at).
    John McGrail