SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Automate with Constant Changes

I have been working on trying to automate 10 web based applications that are accessed off of my company's intranet home page. The problem that I am experiencing is that the home page keeps changing. (ie. The homepage name changed from EOGRHomePage to EOGRIntranetHomePage.) The developer responsible for this did not inform me of this change and once it was moved into production all of my scripts that I have running through a NT scheduler started failing. When I reviewed the error logs, I discovered the the name change. Is there an easier way to automate testing when name changes ocurr?

Once I discovered the name change problem and discussed this with the developer, I was informed that the Home page was getting ready to have major changes done to it, including moving the location of the links I am using to test the 10 web applications from there present location. Last month the placement of the links moved from a drop down list box to just hyperlinks. I was able to repair that change rather quickly, but it still took the majority of an afternoon to correct the scripts to point to the new link locations. The reason I use the Home page as my starting point. Is that I want to mimic as much as possible the actions a user would take to get to the applicaiton. These applications are critical to the operations of the business and must be up all of the time. Some of the scripts that I have written verify the status of the application and notify the appropriate technical resource by paging them if there is a problem that needs to be resolved.

Any suggestions as to how to automate in a contantly evolving environemnt would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    Tammy Stokes
    Tammy Stokes

Re: How to Automate with Constant Changes

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>The reason I use the Home page as my starting point... is that I want to mimic as much as possible the actions a user would take to get to the application.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ultimately, your goal is to test the 10 web applications. As long as the Home page is in flux, I would find a more reliable means of invoking those apps, or live with the constant change.

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Residential Access Division
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Tony. You can go directly to other pages by Browser.LoadPage ("sNewURL").

You can also find a better way to tag the Home Page, using WildCards, - tag "EOG*"

Regarding the problem of links changing to a popup etc, you can use a function for that navigation to your apps. Then when (NOT IF) they change it again, you'll only have to update your function. Declaring an enum for each app would make things even more robust. Using an enum for each app and then figuring out what to do in the function, means that none of your testcases needs to change.

Hope this helps

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me you need some type of 'data map' file that contains all the id's, links, window\dialogs names. Once you have a data map' set up then you create a generic name for each control\window.

I use ini files that contain all my id's and window\control names. I give them a name(could be an abreviated name as dialog\control names do change). One these files have been created then i use all my generic names in my scripts where I am clicking a control or looking for a window. before each click I open the ini files and retrieve each the name.

my ini files become my constant file in a sense. if a dialog or control name has changed(either id or window) then I only have to change it in one place not in 300!!

I have over 300 scripts(and growing) I run both for desktop applications and web applications..I would be pulling my hair out silly if I had to make a change in each script!!

I hope this helps,
    james

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all that have responded. I did create a "switchboard" page that only has the links to all of the web applications, being tested, on it. I would like to eliminate the need to change/modify any existing scripts as much as possible. But I also need to ensure that my Home page is up and running correctly so that the apps can be accessed. I am going to look into the enum declaration and see if that will help.

As far as the response about creating a data mapping file and declaring constant variables that are used in the scripts. I do currently use a similar strategy for some of my app navigation that is controlled by a graphic image. I did not think about using that for the entire object declarations. Must ponder that one a while.

Thanks again for the responses.

------------------
    Tammy Stokes
    Tammy Stokes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>I use ini files that contain all my id's and window\control names. I give them a name(could be an abreviated name as dialog\control names do change). One these files have been created then i use all my generic names in my scripts where I am clicking a control or looking for a window. before each click I open the ini files and retrieve each the name.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I like that idea of an ini file or a constant file somewhere. My question would then be what do you do once you have it. Do you read the values from the ini file into your test script? In other words, how do you get the script to recognize the elements on the screen based on the entries in your ini file?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murn,

I've been using this same approach for years to define script variables. I have a GetSetupValue() function in my include file that calls for this variable information.

So the script runs across a variable sPrimaryMachine_IPAddress and calls the include file for that address. The include file then calls to the ini file and returns the information to the script.

That's the High Level view of it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murn,

Another way to use the 'map' concept is make an include file instead of the .ini file. No reading from .ini but YES you will have lot of global variables.

------------------