SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem opening .res-file

I have a .res file that is almost 8 MB of size and a .jou file that is 826 MB !! of size. I have problems opening the .res file in Silktest to view the results of my test run, it crashes while trying to open the .jou file. Is there a possibilty to open the result file with another editor either that silk. This result file occured after a random test on a java app over the week-end. nos I can analyse this file to know why the application crashed.

Thanks for your help.

------------------
    Serge Eric Thiam.
    Silverter - A guru was once a beginner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problem opening .res-file

Mega file sizes!! What's a .jou file. Think I've seen them before but can't see them with my scripts at present.

You can open the .res file in notepad, but you can't see much because it's not really an ASCII file, however you can see the text.

If you're tests failed... then the answer will be somewhere near the very end of the file.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen .jou extension with result file. It displays when the test is still running. But after the script is over the .jou extension disappears.
    This means that your result file is not complete. Did you try to open the .res file.

I can't tell what is the problem. Sorry. Just wanted to let you know when the .jou extension for resultfile displays.

Yamini

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, you might just be stuck. If silktest can't get enough memory to open a journal file (.jou) that large to convert it into the results file, then there's very little you can do about it. The journal and results files are proprietary formats which no other file editor is capable of reading sensibly.
    Anyway, 826MB is nothing. Just last week my script accidentally got stuck in a loop within which it kept logging information; it carried on all weekend, and when I got back on Monday the .jou file was over 8 gigs. My sysadmin was getting quite concerned with the state of the server by this point.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for your reply. My testscript also ran into a loop and ran over the weekend and generated this 826 MB of result, that silktest could not open and I could not edit or view the .jou file with another editor.

Well, I on about writing sone routines that will help me log the test errors in a silktest .res file as well as in a plain text log file. In this case I can use a normal editor to view the plain Text log-file, or just use a tail to cut bits of it if it's too huge for an editor. Any Ideas if some one has done it before or how I can go about that?

Thanks alot for your replies.

------------------
    Serge Eric Thiam.
    Silverter - A guru was once a beginner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silver,

I don't know the purpose of the jou file, but I do know that if you attempt to run a script with that bad boy in there, it will fail. Delete that file. They seem to hang around if you have a script that just completely blows up.

I have had a results file much larder than 8 megs that I've opened. I have one results file that is in the multigig range. What I did was opened it in wordpad. Took forever, but it did open. Might be worth a try for you.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it will work with a file that big, but I have successfully merged jou's into res files before. Leave the jou file where it is and rerun the script/suite that crashed. Give it a few seconds and then shift-shift out. Sometimes SilkTest will merge the old jou into the current res file. When you open it up, the results from the jou file might be indented one level too far. If it works, it will tell you where your script crashed.

Good luck!

------------------
    Tom
    Tom