User Tag List

mlj
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VO to DOM conversion

I need to use DOM for the DHTML layer menus that we have in our product. (The developers have tried the other solutions posted- to no avail). Anyway, I have huge include files, and when I turn DOM on, not only are there at least three times as many objects, but the tags and identifiers are so significantly different that it is difficult to map the VO objects to the correct DOM objects. Re-recording the declarations and doing the necessary manipulation will take quite some time and effort. Has anybody else run across this problem and come up with any creative solutions? Since I need DOM for the menus, turning it on and off when necessary doesn't seem to be an option. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VO to DOM conversion

There were several posts about the impact of switching to DOM (specifically in regard to your window decs) back when DOM support first really started to be supported/used. You might want to do some searching.

I did not have to do that conversion so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the details. But if I recall correctly, re-recording the windwo decs was part of the solution. Sorry.

------------------

mlj
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read all the posts, since they were from such a long time ago, I figured somebody may have come up with something else. Our applications will take 2 full weeks of work to convert- that's my estimate as well as segue's. I am thinking other people that have complex include files will be coming up against the same issue soon.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to use a minimalist include file, with only the objects you really need. You can also dynamically instantiate objects, leaving you with far fewer declarations to maintain.

Examples:

Login.HtmlPushButton ("Submit").Click ()
    HomePage.HtmlLink ("Preferences").Click ()
    Preferences.HtmlImage ("Details").Click ()

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One additional note:

EVERY object can be given a unique DOM name. For some elements, the developers need to add NAME=?? and for others they can add ID=??. Silk will record ?? as the $?? (DOM) tag.

Hope this helps

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Vic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can easily resolve your problems by tweaking some of the settings:

1. Go to Option/Extension > Select your Browser type then extension. Now Set the Borderless table recognition to Zero(NOT 0.5 which is the default). This allows DOM to behaves more like VO + it's other capabilities.
    2. Same location as in 1. You can always de-select any object you do not want to record like Text, Hidden object and etc.

hope this helps.

------------------

mlj
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks- I'll give them a try

------------------

mlj
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You can always de-select any object you do not want to record like Text, Hidden object and etc."

vic- I've looked in the options- recorder and extensions, etc. I set showborderless tables in the .ini but can't seem to find where I can disable these particular objects from being recorded-
    thanks.

------------------

Vic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mlj,
    Not option/recorder/extension.
    It's option/extension/select your application(IE DOM)or../under options select EXTENSION.
    You should see "Show the following components". From here you can select/deselect any components that you want the agent to record or when you declared you window dec.
    Hope this helps.
    Vic

------------------