Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SilkTest 5.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.5

Anybody used this version yet. I just would like to know what are the advantages to upgrade to 5.5. How come they went from 5.0.3.2 to 5.5 ?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.5

I don't know about "advantages" but here is the email blurb I got from Segue about it.

Segue Software is pleased to announce the release of SilkTest® 5.5. Your SilkTest Maintenance Agreement entitles you to this new upgrade. The most significant changes in the SilkTest release are described below.

Increased cross-browser testing
    SilkTest 5.5 now supports Netscape 6. This support for testing your Web applications in Netscape 6 is the first in the industry. This continues to extend SilkTest's ability to produce a testing infrastructure that easily adapts to the various versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer.

Improved software usage control
    With the introduction of SilkMeter, your organization will now have a more flexible and controlled licensing solution for its implementation of SilkTest.

Distributed access to test results
    We have introduced an easier way to permit access to test results so individuals across the organization can have the information they need when they need it. SilkTest 5.5 provides an easy to use ability to store test results and an unsupported, demonstration feature, the SilkTest Results Viewer, for viewing logged test results from a browser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken, it is just like their performer setup where you have a pool of licenses available, say 10, and you have the product installed on 50 machines, but only 10 can be running concurrently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJGrey is correct, so SilkTest has the same limitations of Silk Performer, you can only use the tool when hooked up to the server. No server no development or testing.

Mike

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking I'm not going to be liking this SilkMeter feature. I have a copy of SilkTest on my desktop machine and my laptop. This allows me to work on the go, between our NY and CT office, from home during the week and weekend. Do you know if you are able to have the license server be the same machine as your work machine? I couldn't find anything on this in the release notes and Segue has not responded to me. This "improved flexibility ... to better meet the needs of our customers" look like its going to end up chaining us to our desks again.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta call Segue and ask about getting this upgrade.
    We just purchased 5.0 last month.

How does this SilkMeter work?

We ideally wanted to have 5 lic for the whole group. One or 2 would be developing and others would be mainly just executing.
    But Segue was asking 26K for this. Too steep
    for our budget.

We ending up buying 2 lic for 10K.

It's inconvenient to have a dedicated machine
    set up for Silk. Rather have each person with a local copy.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid what is said above looks correct.

I don't think this is a wise move at all and I'm going to stick with 5.0.3.2.

It appears that you can't run Silk Test without having a dedicated machine running continuously, serving the licenses. That means that you can't run it without being connected to the network, so you can't use it while you're on the move.. and I know for a lot of people, it will put them out, because like me I work from home on a regular basis.

So bearing this in mind, I will continue to use version 5.0.3.2.

I'd also like to know why they've called it 5.5 instead of say 5.0.3.3, the Release Notes don't imply any *big* advances at all.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After spending many hours with license server and SilkTest installations yesterday I would say this is one big smoldering POS. The license server installed without issue; however the SilkTest install failed repeatedly and although it needs to find the license server to install it could not find it after that. The one time I was able to look at the Extension Enabler there were no browser extensions present. The license server needs to be on NT, of which we have two lab machines available - two lab machines that could be restarted at anytime by somebody using it for testing.
    All in all it was a frustrating day yesterday and we are still no closer to having 5.5 up and running. The next plan is to request standalone licenses or revert to 5.0.3.2. I am also doing code in places other than work and need to have the software on an independent machine. I have been using ST only since v. 5, but this is the worst release yet.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke with the man in charge of our load testing with SilkPerformer, since Performer has been using this "pooling" approach to licensing for some time now. Here is his reaction:

Damon,
    Let that group know that one of the biggest problems I have with performer is that infernal, annoying, pathetic, useless, PITA known as SilkMeter. Many times I have not been able to run Performer because the SM hasn't let go of a license when the app crashed. If you want to move the box that SilkMeter is running on, well you better call Segue and get their permission. Heaven forbid that the nic need be replaced, because your entire operation will be down for the two to three days that it will take Segue to figure out what is going on and get you another license. And my biggest complaint with this stupid SilkMeter app: it keeps me from being able to use the tool on a laptop that isn't connected to the network where the SilkMeter app happens to be. What if I want to take some work home - can't do it. Need to touch up a script on the plane - can't do it. It just sucks like nothing has ever sucked before!

Mike

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 04-25-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the reply I recieved from Segue about loading the license manager on my laptop: Has anyone recieved the same info and have they tried loading the server onto their laptop?

Can you check you policy file, if you have a line saying something like licenses = 5; then this could mean that all your licenses are on the one policy file. What you will need to do is to contact license@segue.com and tell them that you need to change this to licenses = 3; and that you want them to
    send you 2 more policy files for your two laptops, both of these will need to be standalone=true.

This means that you can install both Silkmeter and Silktest on both your laptops and you will not need to connect your laptops to a server. They will run as
    standalone on the laptops.

It does mean however that you may be down two licenses at work. Your company may wish to pay for two more but that would be up to them.

So you will need to contact license@segue.com
    and ask them to change your licensing policy. If your policy files are already standalone which is probably unlikely then you can use them in your laptop.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mvpl (edited 04-25-2001).]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast