SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generating include files automatically

Here's something that probably gets asked a lot (although I didn't find much upon searching):

How are people automatically generating their include files? I see the GenerateDecl() command and it seems like it might do the trick. But it needs to be in some form of context. What I was thinking of was forcing the developers to come up with a sort of data dictionary of sorts that I could then read and parse. I would then use a "spider" type script and GenerateDecl() to get the various browserchild declarations.

But I'm a little flummoxed about how to actually begin. Has anyone done anything like this?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Generating include files automatically

Normally I do not participate in this forum too much but I had to jump on this one because it is one that I am curious about as well. Murn, the bad news is I have no answers for you. I can tell you what I have tried and what I have failed to get working - at least in a robust fashion. Whether this failure is because of my own lack of knowledge with SilkTest or because of a lack in SilkTest itself is hard to say at this point although, if forced to choose I would have to conditionally choose the former.

What I was looking into was building some sort of link checker type of thing within SilkTest that would traverse each page and do the GenerateDecl() you talked about. This is tricky however and sometimes you are better off getting a link checking tool (like Linkbot), exporting its results, and then reading those into a SilkTest script. (Problem is sites with a lot of forms or other things can cause problems for this and sometimes frames can hang you up.) What I did was export the results of the link checker to an Excel workbook and then have a SilkTest read in each URL, go to that URL, generate the page elements, etc. But, again, with framesets this can be tricky.

Another way I was looking at was not so much with GenerateDecl() but with navigating to each page and then having a sort of for...each function that would read all the elements on the page (HtmlLink, HtmlImage, etc.) Then I could match each element to a data dictionary that had been set up. So, for example, if an image came up you can make a coding standard that they all have to have ALT tags. Since you know the ALT tag, you can match it up (or use the filename as an alternative - like when it says "$http:??www.somewhere.com?images?discover.gif ". With links, you can just grab the location that you know exists. It is hard to explain all of this but if coding standards and conventions are enforced you can at least make a stab at it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have created a script to dynamically captures window declarations and screen captures. It does however take manual intervention to work.

My code uses:
    Agent.DisplayMessage()
    Sleep()
    GenerateDecl()

Please let me know if you would be interested in more details of this script.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mike,

I would be interested in more details about the script you are referencing. As I indicated in my last post, this is a topic that interests me greatly with SilkTest because part of my recommendations towards the tool are its ability to do things like this.

------------------