SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use a win NT system variable in Use Path?

Hi

How is it possible to use a system variable in the Use Path field in the Runtime Options?
    I'm working on an Windows NT 4.0 machine with SilkTest 5.0.2.

Thanks

------------------
    Yves-Alain Paroz
    Ascom Transmission Ltd.
    Yves-Alain Paroz
    Ascom Transmission Ltd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to use a win NT system variable in Use Path?

I looked into this and determined it's not something I can get to work reliably. I then re-examined WHY it was that I wanted to do this and found no really good reason. So I took a step back and eventually changed the entire approach.

So WHY is it that you want to do this?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

We are a small verification team and we have only a few test machine. So we have to work 3 on the same pc. In addition we are using CVS (WinCvs) as source management system.
    We have defined for each user a separate working directory on the test pc and a Windows NT system variable named TESTROOTDIR is defined for each user. So I wand SilkTest used this variable to specify where are the frame files stored (Runtime Options: Use Path and Use Files).
    We have also defined some compiler constants which are saved in the .opt file and this last is itself under control of CVS.
    I tried to defined the path relative, but relative to what, relative to the location of the option file, the SilkTest installation directory or the directory from where you start SilkTest, then wich drive should it takes. In addition sometimes I receive the error '$UseFiles(1): Unable to locate frame.inc', but often SilTest (5.0.2)crashs.
    I asked the Segue Technical Support. They
    answered me:
    Regarding your query about using an environment variable to set the UseFiles option unfortunately this will not work. The Parameter to the "use" statement MUST resolve down to a constant string. If you use an environment variable to attempt to set this parameter this will resolve to a variable and not a constant string so it will result in an error. This has been noted as a documentation issue with Silktest and should be updated in a future release. Unfortunately there is no way round this.

Now after discussion with a colleague, I have implemented a solution which I map the specific user working directory on the local machine as a network drive, SilkTest is then using this drive as an absolut path. And it works fine.

Regards

------------------
    Yves-Alain Paroz
    Ascom Transmission Ltd.
    Yves-Alain Paroz
    Ascom Transmission Ltd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the big problem here is that the top-level directory TESTROOTDIR is different for different users and there's basically no way you can get around that. Right?

1. You might want to look into the possibility of mapping a drive letter in the login script based on the user logging in. For example, on my network everyone has a personal work area on a fileserver that they can access using drive H: (for Home). For me drive H: is \\NIS110\users\pcostigan. For John Brown it would be \\NIS110\users\jbrown. We both access that as drive H:. This way we always use drive H: in all SilkTest config files and it changes from one user to the next. Problem resolved.

2. If that's not possible then is there some reason why "options sets" doesn't provide a solution. I am aware that there are a few paths that are defined in partner.ini but not an options set, but editing them right after opening the desired options set only to change a top-level directory shouldn't be all that big of a deal. Is you go this route please log a bug with Segue about options sets not including all of the paths.

3. I addressed these and some other very relevent configuration issues in my QUEST presentation "SilkTest Configuration Made Easier". Segue will be posting all of the QUEST presentations on their web site very soon. You might want to take a look at mine for more info.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi pcostigan

We could solved the problem with the old DOS command SUBST.
    Each of us as his own working directory, and when he start the machine, a batch will substitute the drive w: to his working directory (SUBST W: C:\R5\"username").
    After this we are working all with SilkTest as with CVS in the w: working directory.

I don't more investigate if it would be possible with some variable in partner.ini.

Regards

------------------
    Yves-Alain Paroz
    Ascom Transmission Ltd.
    Yves-Alain Paroz
    Ascom Transmission Ltd.