User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Notice any difference in Support?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010419/2408.html

In the above link, Mr. Steve Butler is very proud of announcing that Segue's Customer Support group is being staffed with a whole bunch of Computer Science grads/students. If this is really working well, let's hope that these Computer Science people stay (as we all know that most of them don't stay that long since there's more $$$ in Development) long enough to answer all our technical questions. I have not used Segue's support for awhile since discovering www.betasoft.com.
    Has anybody notice any difference now in support?

------------------

Re: Notice any difference in Support?

How interesting, especially since Segue just recently let go of 10% of it's workforce.
    http://www.reuters.com/news_company.jhtml?storyid=NEWS.REUT.20010406.N065 30559r tr&ticker=SEGU.O

Among those laid off were some long time staffers who I'm sure took with them an incredible amount of experience with the product.

Gee, I just don't see how a bunch of recent college grads are going to be able to provide timely solutions to more than the most basic problems. This was the problem 2 years ago when Tech Support was miserable.

WinRunner is looking better and better every day...

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Residential Access Division
    Intel Corporation

[This message has been edited by Tony Mrozinski (edited 04-19-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About two months ago I emailed a detailed question to Segue. I simultaneously posted it here.

From QAForums, I got my answer.
    It was an explanation of how to add "hidden" Java classes to Javaex.ini to make them visible.

The answer I got from Segue "support" reveals a person with very little experience who did not even understand my question:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    Hi Rob

My name is ***** ******, SilkTest Engineer from Segue Software, assigned
    to your case.

I should say if you frame file and test script works with the modified
    application, fine, you do not need to change any thing.

Custom win's are not very friendly class definition. If you can get all
    the classes by ticking record class, do that. The size of the frame file
    is not important, and if the level of you application has not changed,
    your testcase should run.

I hope this helps. If I do not hear from you within next seven days I
    assume problem solved and case closed.

Thank you
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Note that this case got counted as "resolved" in Segue's amazing support statistics.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 04-19-2001).]

I've censored some Name info, please don't name names when flaming. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 04-19-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ooops...if ***** is one of those Computer Science people Mr. Butler is talking about, that's not good news at all. Just by looking at his reply to Rob, can't imagine what the response would be if the case/problem is more complicated.

------------------

I've censored some Name info, please don't name names when flaming. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 04-19-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue's technical support is historically very poor. Interestingly enough I just had lunch yesterday with two representatives from Segue, and this was one of two main items on the agenda. They know it is a problem.

My dilemma, which causes me to vehemently disagree with Tony, is that the SilkTest product is the superior product. It is the most customizable/flexible, and most powerful tool available. Unfortunately, this also makes it the most difficult to learn and to use.

I'm finding that I just bypass tech support since it isn't very supportive and come here for answers since the heavy hitters are here.

If something is proven to definately be a failure in the product, then I contact Segue about it and log the failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't (yet) anything to do with the Support, but my story may demonstrate a common problem.

In short:
    During our automation effort the classic tool evaluation task must be solved. SilkTest had the best chances (our partner company is a SilkTest user).
    - Middle March: asking for Info.
    - 20.03: Standard answer: I should read the homepage.
    - 20.03: asking for a contact address in Germany (to get an evaluation copy). No answer.
    - 21.03. Asking for an evaluation copy at the Segue Office in Hamburg. No answer.
    - 18.04. Call to the Office in Hamburg. The manager is busy, a callback will come.
    - 19.04. No callback. I make a call again. They are too busy.

Rational, Mercury and the others do it much better.

Walter Krafft / Test Manager

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is hard to find good knowledgeable support people, especially with a technical product such as Silk.

I always try to rely on the manuals and user
    groups and use support as a last resort.

I've called Support a few times and dealt with guys from Ireland. They were very
    nice and helpful.

The best thing Segue could do, IMO, is to improve the documentation. - especially for the SilkBean.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Segue:

I agree that SilkTest is a superior product, despite it's poor tech support.
    But given the poor documentation, poor tech support and poor (and expensive) training classes, the learning curve is really high.
    For many customers, it is this fact alone that makes SilkTest impractical.
    In addition to this, SilkTest may not stay #1 for long, since Segue is not advancing nearly as fast as their competition.

Yes, I agree that it is hard to find good people.
    I have also talked to the support people in Northern Ireland, and I agree that they much better.

Partly, I think that Segue's support problems can be blamed some customers.
    I have seen test managers hire a bunch of newbies, give them a two hour introduction to SilkTest, and hand them the toll-free number to Segue's "free" Tech support. (actually paid for by our hefty license fees)
    I have seen some of these newbies patiently tie up Segue's phones for hours with basic questions.
    When customers do this, it is not surprising that I can't get through to a competent person when I call.

But, I ask, if this is the case, why does Segue's CEO repeatedly deny reality and announce to the world that Segue's "24/7" Tech support is so amazingly good ?

Segue "guarantees" a 24-hour response time.
    More than once, I have emailed a question to Segue, and 23-hours later I get a "response" -- actually, a stalling letter asking irrelevant details about my configuration.

If they do this over and over, why does Segue's CEO continue to boast about the their "24-hour response time" ?
    It just makes him a liar and it makes his customers angry.

What Segue needs to do to stay competitive:

1. Write some better documentation.

2. If "free" tech support is tying up your support people -- get rid of it.

Reduce our annual maintenance fees.
    In its place, have Segue support people help us on QAForums (or something similar)

Paid telephone support is also a possibility. (Maybe with 1 free call per month)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 04-20-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com