SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newly opened application is not \"active.\"

I have a Java application that must be closed and reopened repeatedly during the test.

For some reason, at seemingly random intervals, when Silk calls this application, it does start, but is not set as the active window.

<CODE>
    NavDesigner.Start(sCommandToRun, sExeLocation, sExtensionReady, nInvokeTimeout)
    NavDesigner.SetActive()
    </CODE>

Sometimes it works and other times it comes back with the error message that the window cannot be set active.

Has anyone seen anything similar? What possible causes are there for an application starting but not coming up as the active window? BTW, this never happens when starting the application manually; only when Silk starts it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newly opened application is not \"active.\"

I have seen this regularly.
    There's a registry entry (fglockto.reg) on the SilkTest install CD that is supposed to correct problems with SetActive(). It seemed to cure my initial problems but I still occasionally come across instances where the required application cannot be set to active, even when it is the only application running and seems to already be active.
    Is your problem consistent? I can usually cure it by rebooting but it's still a seemingly unnecessary pain, especially if you want the tests to run without a body there to monitor them.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! Exactly!

We have a nightly build. Following the nightly build, a build verification test machine reboots to a small partition, formats its hard drive and establishes a clean install state. Following this, the nightly build is installed on this clean machine and the reqression suite is kicked off against it. All of this happens unattended and we come in in the morning for the results.

Having to sit and monitor the tests takes the "automated" out of automated testing.

The problem is consistent in that it happens, but random as far as where in the script it happens.

I'll look for the fglockto.reg you mentioned and give it a whirl.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the readme with this reg entry and it indicates the purpose of it is for improving performance on VerifyProperties.

Nonetheless, I've made the change, and it appears to be setting the application active with greater consistency than before. I am in the midst of a lengthy script and the application has closed and reopened about a dozen times so far with no failures.

This is an interesting fix and I am indebted to you for suggesting it.

Thanks.

------------------