SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: How do you handle Dynamic HtmlLinks?

chekm8,

sounds like you've been playing the Sicilian Defense too much : )
    therefore, you forgot to tell us exactly what your problem is...
    did u consult with bobby f. or anatoly k. first to see if you can salvage a draw?
    u can also check things out with Fritz or M-chess...
    what kind of errors are you getting?
    how does this HtmlLinks look like in your declarations?
    if it's dynamically changing, are you using the Caption, Window ID, Index, or ...?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Gilbert,

Maybe I should be spending more time playing chess...when I stated I was a relative newbie, I wasn't kidding...but if you can help me out, I would be extremely grateful...the error message I received stated: Window [HtmlLink]somename could not be found. When I capture HtmlLinks it records the Caption, and Index - in the declarations. I know I stated that the App I was testing was a Java Based Web Application...but when I try testing, something like Hotmail - where the HtmlLinks for incoming messages change dynamically, I also run into the same problem. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

chekm8

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if the object you are working with is dynamically changing, then perhaps you should not use the Caption as its tag.
    If your HtmlLinks caption shows "Name1" when you record your declarations and at runtime this caption changes to "Name2", of course, you'll get a "not found" error. Try using another tag such as the Index or Window ID. Or if the captions always start with a predefined set of characters like "Name1", "Name2", "Name3", etc. then you can use the wildcard "Name*" as your caption.
    ...and you don't have to include this in your sealed move Q-g7 check!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Gilbert,

Thanks again for your help...I'll try your suggestion out...what I was hoping for was, a way to change the frame file at runtime. I know with WinRunner, you can dynamically change a Gui Object at run time, and I was hoping there was a similar way to do that with Silk Test...I also read some where in the docs, that you can dynamically instantiate the object...the example given was: MainWin("Text Editor|$D:\MYPROGS\TEXTED2.EXE").DialogBox("Find")

but no matter how many ways I modified the above statement to suit my situation, I could not get it to work...oh well...thanks again...

chekm8

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

chekm8,

You can't resign yet. Game not over! Never give up. What if your oponent blunders on the next move?
    If you want to see how Dynamic Instantiation works in SilkTest, then do not record the Windows Declaration. Then try recording a testcase or better yet, if you just want to see what SilkTest is seeing, try Record/Identifiers. I prefer doing trial-and-error recording with Record/Actions. See Online Help for more info.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you handle Dynamic HtmlLinks?

Hi All,

I'm a relative newbie to SilkTest, so please bear with what possibly could be a simple problem. I've run into a problem when I try to run a Test with a dynamically changing HtmlLink. I have been unable to find any concrete info regarding this issue in the UserDocs, or anywhere else for that matter. I read somewhere that an HtmlLink is defined as a link only if it is underlined. The Web Application I am testing has links that are not underlined, but I've tried handling them as HtmlText's without any luck. Regardless, I would still appreciate any input from all you QA Gurus out there, for an approach I can take with this? I'm running SilkTest v5.0.3 on a Java Based Web Application on IE v5.00.2314.1003CO

Many thanks in advance.

chekm8

------------------