SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modal dialogs after installation

I am trying to automate our product installation using a host/target configuration and have come across the problem where a modal dialog pops up right after an install reboot and before agent.exe starts up on the target machine.

I have agent.exe in my startup folder on windows, but this does not start until after this modal dialog is cleared, leaving me the problem of trying to control the modal dialog on the target machine without an agent running on it.

This modal dialog is being loaded as an entry from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key in the registry. I have tried adding an entry for agent.exe in the RunOnce key, and I got it to start up before the modal dialog, but apparently since entries are loaded "synchronously" in RunOnce, I have to exit agent.exe in order for the other RunOnce entries to load (one of them being the modal dialog).

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Note: I am using TweakUI to auto logon after reboot.

Re: Modal dialogs after installation

One possible solution is to delete the offending key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce to prevent the modal dialog from appearing. You would need to delete this key before executing the reboot after the installation process has completed. You can always restore the offending key after the post install reboot. We've used this method to solve a similar problem.

Check out the thread at http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/001281.html for some code snippets you can use for deleting registry keys and values.

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation