SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly how do I deal with CustomWin?

I'm trying to learn SilkTest(ST) 5.0.2 on my own and I am stuck on CustomWin objects. I have all ST documentation except the User Guide. I read through this forum but could not find anything _basic_ about handling CustomWin.

I have what looks like a List Box in an app that ST recognizes as "CustomWin".

AppName.DialogBox("...").DialogBox("...").CustomWi n("[QDWnd]Use values...")

I want to verify the contents of the List Box but I can't because ST's functions do not work on the CustomWin. I have failed miserably in trying to use class maps, Record Classes, etc...

What is the step-by-step process in dealing with this? Is there a How-To somewhere out there? I find the Help file unhelpful.

Thanks,
    Rob

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Exactly how do I deal with CustomWin?

The best way for you to learn about customwin is to take the "Testing Custom Objects" course from Segue. I found it to be VERY helpful since the apps that I was working on at the time consisted of a lot of these.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your question is really too general and answers to it could be anything since there are so many different types/kinds of custom objects that falls into this CustomWin thing.
    Almost any object can be customized by the developers. So a Customized textfield is dealt with very differently than a Customized listbox or a Customized pushbutton.

You mentioned in your case about a customized list. Most likely, your developer turned on a property of that object to a Read-Only so SilkTest could not read its contents. You can either ask your developer(s) to change this property or you just have to find a "work-around" on this using the combination of keyboard interface, the Clipboard, use of the items indexes instead of names, etc. If your developer does not want to make the change, then mark your testcase, for getting its contents, as "Manual Tests". In short, you may not be able to automate getting the List contents very easily but, you can automate other things like picking an item from the List and doing something with it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response guys.

I finally managed to map the CustomWin to a ListBox class within SilkTest. So I no longer get the error messages in the results file stating that certain dialogs are not mapped.

However, when I use the ListBox functions to retrieve text values from the list box, they always return empty strings. I have tried the TypeKeys suggestion found in the help file (to copy + paste the data to the clipboard) but I found these key combos are already mapped for another purpose within the app.

Solved one problem only to be faced with another! Any other ways to retrieve text values from a custom mapped list box?

Thanks,
    --Rob

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob,

I have a similar situation with a JavaJFCTreeView where my attempts to get the text (name) of each item in the tree comes back as a empty string. Fought and fought with it till I tried "Select()" on each node in the tree before getting its name. Bingo! It worked. You might try walking the contents of your list, selecting each item in the list before calling getText() on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never tried mapping custom objects, butI am curious . What language is
    your application developed with?
    What OS platform?

I have never understood why things as basic
    as a dropdown list are not written using standard objects.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The app I am using is a commercial product called FileMaker Pro and is written I believe in C++. I'm using WindowsME.

I mapped the CustomWin object using the Record Window Declarations dialog and hitting the Class Map button.

The object I am having trouble with appears as a list box whose contents change dynamically depending on the adjacent drop-down list. Anyway, all I want to return is the default value in that list box.

All I get back are empty strings when it is mapped as ListBox, TreeView, TextField,...etc. Hiliting the text and then copy/paste does not work either.

One of the replies above mentioned using "Select()" - I played with this for a while but nothing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess you are as confused as the rest of the people reading your topic.
    First, you said you wanted to get the contents of this custom list box.
    Now, you are saying you just wanted to get the default value.
    Also, you said that you cannot do the copy/paste combo since it is being used to do other thing in the app.
    Then, you said you tried the copy/paste and it does not work also.
    Maybe we can do this in slow...motion...
    - for the copy/paste, try this operation manually first (DO NOT USE SilkTest yet) to see how your AUT handles it (Does it use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V key combo or something else?). Then apply this key combo in SilkTest.
    - for your default value, try getting the index of that value using the FindItem ("whatever"), then use the Select (iItem) to see if you are getting the correct value.
    - for additional advice, since you said you are just trying to learn SilkTest on your own (no outside training), and you want others to help you, pick another app to test (something that many people may have or is familiar with like "NotePad" and also something that does not give you this custom objects yet, to speed up on your learning). Once you've learned the basics of SilkTest, then switch to a more difficult app.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 04-16-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to be so vague but I'm learning this as I go along.

A developer told me the CustomWin object I am struggling with is derived from the C++ list box class. The list box contains a value "SomeText". All I want to do is return that value to SilkTest.

1) Manually trying "Ctrl+C\Ctrl+V" does not work. For some reason "SomeText" is not copied to the Windows clipboard.
    2) The Help file suggests using TypeKeys and triggering "Ctrl+Insert" to copy the item to the clipboard. Again, this does not work.
    3) Using ListBox functions like Select, GetSelText, GetSelIndex, FindItem, GetContents, etc... return empty values or fail to work.
    4) After mapping it as a ListBox, I go to Record Testcase, return to the object, hilite "SomeText" and use the Verify Window on the object. I notice that the "Contents" property is empty and "SelIndex" and "SelText" are both equal to NULL
    5) I have tried mapping the object to other classes but I get the same results as #3 and #4.

Any other ideas? Is it common to have CustomWin objects that will simply not co-operate with SilkTest, and also defy workarounds?

Thanks,
    --Rob