SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest and WebStart

I've been searching the board, and can't find any info on this topic. So in the interest of getting suggestions, I'm opening it.

Has anyone successfully used silk to test a WebStart launched Java app? As of right now, the Java app blows up when attempting to run the silk agent. We think it's because we don't have the SilkTest_...jar file in the launch - but we are running into problems with the SilkTest.jar file. According to the developer.. "the jar is signed by an unsupported jar signing tool."

Help, anyone?

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest and WebStart

I'm probably going to be red-faced with embarrassment here, but what is WebStart? I'm not familiar with that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WebStart is a Java tool that allows a user to launch a unix hosted java application through a browser window instead of through a batch file. At least that's how we use it here. I'm sure it allows for much more...but that's what we are doing with it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering if you found a solution to this problem. I am experiencing the same crashes attempting to use Record Classes with our stand-alone app that is launched using Java Web Start. If you could post the exact steps you used to solve the problem (if you solved it), thanks. i will post a solution up here as well if i find one.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually right now we have a batch file launch that is allowing us to run silk and our app. But I'm under pressure to get silk to work with WebStart because that is how the app will be deployed in production.

I don't know if that helps, we're still trying to work it out.

------------------

rg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copy SilkTest_Java2.jar to the ext directory of the JRE that is being used. That solves the problem.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The support people instructed 2 things...one mentioned by the user above..

1. Copy the silktest_javax.jar file (the x would be either 1 or 2 depending, we are using 2) to the ext directory of the JRE

2. Using the "Extension Enabler" which from your start bar is at Start > Programs > SilkTest > Extension Enabler
    Then use the 'New' button and add the Web Start javaws.exe file as a new extention. Once added click the enabled checkbox and ok.

This seems to work for a while, but then partner.exe blows up. (intruction at xxx memory can't be read)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gotten it working as well. I had to copy the SilkTest jar file into the jre directory of the JavaWebStart folder BUT i also had to add the applicaiton applet to my [CLASSLIST] in the javaex.ini file. [see on-line help]. I was getting crashes if i attempted to run SilkTest on the same machine that the application was installed on but if i run my automation on a different machine and access the application through JavaWebStart i don't have problems.

example of javaex.ini file
    [CLASSLIST]
    com.company.directory.JILLapplet=true

------------------