Thread: Drawn objects

asp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawn objects

The application that I am testing enables the user to draw objects on a flowsheet, and to connect these objects (similar to AutoCad). However when I try and automate this procedure I have to rely on co-ordinates as Silktest does not recognise my drawn objects. Using co-ordinates is undesirable as it does not always work, for example on another pc where there might be any number of differences (e.g size of main window, resolution etc).

Has anyone got any ideas or ever come across a way to solve this problem. I have spoken to many people and as yet had no success apart from relying on co-ordinates.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Drawn objects

I don't know of any way to do this without coordinates, but there are ways to work with the coordinates to make things work better.

I had a similar problem that I solved by creating a record for all of my objects. When I create an object on the screen, I store the map coordinates in the record. When I need to connect the objects, I do so based on the objects coordinates as stored in the record.

You may be able to base the placement of your objects on the window size, and this may minimize some of the problems with window size and resolution. You would do this by getting the window size first, then determining the coordinates base on a percentage of the window size. For example, if your window is 200 x 200, you may place your first object at ({.75 * xSize}, {.50 * ySize}). This gives you (150, 100) for your coordinates - (.75 * 200) = 150, (.50 * 200) = 100.

Hope this helps,

Atlee

------------------
    Atlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asp,

I have similar issues where I am forced to rely on coordinates to determine success or failure of my tests. In these cases, it invariablty involves some defined window or panel within a window. The thing I do to ensure reliability is to do a RECT on that pane and then work my coordinates out of the upper left corner relative to the pane. The idea is that this should eliminate any problems with window/panel resizing, or screen resolution.

When we are dealing with coordinates, you know nothing is perfect, but testers in our position have to come up with the best solutions we can.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but what IS the point of automating the interactions with a drawing program if there is no corresponding validation of those actions? IMHO, merely "going through the motions" without validating that something was properly drawn on screen, or that some other measurable state change occurred, serves little value unless you are measuring something else (memory leaks, stress, etc.).

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tony...

I'm not sure what asp's app looks like, but for me, I have Java Panels where certain activity within that panel affects other areas of the application that are visible to Silk, and by my manipulating objects in those panels, I can force certain conditions that I need to test.

My suspicion is that in asp's "autocad-like" application, the test involves things other than what is actually drawn.

I could be totally off-base however... ;-)