SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest crashes on DB_ExecuteSql - possibly because large number of rows returned?

I have just observed silktest consistently crashing as my script calls DB_ExecuteSql. We use the DB tester functions all the time in our scripts, and this is the first time I have seen this happen. The query I was using was:
    "SELECT UNIQUE_ID FROM LEDGER"
    The HDATABASE connection I was running the query through had already been used several times in the course of the script to run other queries (successfully); there was nothing wrong with the syntax of the query (checked by running it through a different odbc client); and I have many times run similar queries through to the same database (for example, "SELECT UNIQUE_ID FROM LEDGER WHERE..."). But this was the first time I was running this particular query, on this database (Oracle 8.15). I have run the same query on a different database (RDD DBF, through a Visual FoxPro driver) without a problem.
    I suspect that the problem is related to the number of rows returned by this query - over 14,000. Has anybody else tried anything similar and found problems (or, just as relevantly, not had problems)?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest crashes on DB_ExecuteSql - possibly because large number of rows returned?

Hi Vince,

I ran into a problem when using DB_ExecuteSql in a loop. After a certain number of iterations the function would fail and return an error. To get around the problem I simply inserted DB_FinishSql following the DB_ExecuteSql call.

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest crashes on DB_ExecuteSql - possibly because large number of rows returned?

I don't think I've had this problem you describe - our use of the DB Tester functions always follows the same structure:
    Open a connection in TestCaseEnter
    Whenever a query needs to be performed:
    DB_ExecuteSql()
    Perform a number of DB_FetchNext calls on this query
    DB_FinishSql()
    Close the connection in TestCaseExit.
    I would recommend this structure, as it has proved very stable; always calling DB_FinishSql is good housekeeping, and it turns out that there are no problems associated with running multiple queries through one connection which is held open throughout the lifetime of the testcase. It is even possible to simultaneously execute multiple queries from parallel threads without them interfering with each other.
    And my problem is not that DB_ExecuteSql is returning an error, but that Silktest (partner.exe) actually crashes.

------------------