SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Create new instance of a variable, knowing only the datatype?

I want to write a generic function which can deal with different types of Record variable. What I would like to do is to pass into this function a variable of type DATATYPE, and allow the function to create a new instance of this type.
    I have done some testing, and it is certainly possible to pass a DATATYPE variable into a function, and then use it (for example you can then successfully pass it into FieldsOfRecord()), but I don't know of a way of creating a new instance of this variable type.
    Here is an example of what I have managed to do so far:
    Does anybody know how I can manage to go on and create a variable of this datatype? Or is the DATATYPE type only useful for the FieldsOfRecord function?

------------------

[This message has been edited by vincebowdren (edited 04-04-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Create new instance of a variable, knowing only the datatype?

I have never found a way to create a new instance of a record type. Have you tried using the anytype DATATYPE. This will allow you to pass any type of variables into a function. Once the variable, with its data, is in the function, you can resolve the datatype and then work with the variable type and data. If necessary you can then also pass the variable back out as a anytype.
    Hope this made some sense.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mvpl (edited 04-04-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Create new instance of a variable, knowing only the datatype?

Segue tech support just got back to me on this one; they said there is no way of doing it. So I've gone with the workaround of passing in an instance of my variable type into the function.

------------------