SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic tagging???

I have a Dialog that is Captioned based on what is entered into a text field of a previous dialog. I need to tag the window based on that entry. Is such a thing possible?

I can do something like:

window JavaDialogBox ThisDialogBox
    String sValue = OtherDialogBox.TextField.GetText()
    tag "{sValue}"

The problem is that the OtherDialogBox doesn't exist at compile time so there is a compile error. There must be some way to do this, but right now I'm just a little 'mush-brained' about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dynamic tagging???

Use dynamice tagging instead of static. get the caption from the previous dialog somehow and then use this to refer to the object. As in:

string TmpString

TmpString=SomeSortaControlHere.GetText()
    DialogBox(TmpString).SetActive()

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the proposed code you posted is almost identical to what I originally asked about. The problem here is that the code won't compile because the preceeding dialog box doesn't exist at compile time so there is no way for the call to GetText() can complete its mission. This is why I wanted to do some sort of boolean, but that is not allowed in the include file.

There has to be some way to put a "placeholder" in that tag that can be filled when the preceding dialog appears and the textfield is populated. I'll keep working on it and if I find a solution I'll post it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why doesn't the other textfield exist at compile time? Are you working without a window declaration?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you clarify your context.

Is it like this:

1)you are trying to do something dynamic in your class?? Or

2)You want to change the caption of ThisDialogBox base on OtherDialogBox's TextField. You can't have that to work if none of them exists.

I think your problem reside in 1) since making a TYPE dynamic makes more sense.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason it doesn't exist at compile time is that the script and include file compile each time the script is run. The script is what calls the application that contains the Dialogs, one of which has dynamic text based on what the user types into the preceding dialog.

I need to grab what is typed in the textfield on dialog1 and pass that as "tag" information to dialog2.

Another user has pointed out in private mail that this can be done by having the tag in the include file filled by a function call. It looks something like:

DialogBox MyDialog
    tag "{theFunction()}"

I'm experimenting with this right now, and have not made it work, but it does compile, adn the script runs. I'm just not getting the dynamic informaton passed in because dialog2 is now active and I can't set dialog1 active in order to get the information from the text field. I may have to get it as it is typed in and store that until dialog2 comes up.

Nonetheless, it looks like using the function as the tag will work.

Thanks for the input.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it like this:

window DialogBox whatever
    tag Gentag ()

String Gentag ()