User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll re: Using DB values as reference standard

Hi folks,
    I'm testing a web app which stores key status messages in the database that are then displayed to the users and administrators. I'm wanting to keep the testing data as close as possible to the language of the development team without sacrificing accuracy and usability. I'm facing a choice with regard to the reference dataset that I would be using to verify the different states of the application:

1) I can create 4-test records in my .inc files (or elsewhere) which mirror the data in the database. This would involve periodic updating from the DB.

or

2) I can pull the reference values directly from the database. This would involve no human checking of the database values with all the pluses and minuses involved. One drawback for instance would be spelling errors or corrupt values in the db.

Any thoughts about or experiences with using the DB as a reference?

Michael

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Poll re: Using DB values as reference standard

Pulling the values from your app's database would be very nice and convenient (and might well be worth doing, in order to get some scripts up and running quickly). But for more thorough testing, I would have to say that you should have them defined separately in your scripts. If you consider the principle of comparing observed behaviour against predicted behaviour, then if you pull these reference values directly from the database then you aren't predicting the values yourself - it is analogous to reading an app's code to find out what it's supposed to do, instead of reading it's spec.

------------------