SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory leak in a Web app

My Web app gives out a memory error message after running my first testcase. This is a very simple testcase. The error message that comes up is.....
    The instruction at "0x014b1dco" referenced memory of 0x000000c4. Click OK to terminate the Program. Click CANCEL to debug the program.
    The scripting language is JScript. I can always reproduce it. But manually this cannot be reproduced as it comes randomly.
    I have tried to isolate the issue and I feel this is an app error.Anybody has any solution for this? But even it is one, did your developers find a solution.?
    Thanks in advance

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Memory leak in a Web app

i don't believe that the problem is with your app, it's probably silktest. your testcase, as you said, is a very simple testcase but we have found that silktest can crash with just two lines of code and compiling it. and i'm telling you the first line is just a function name and the second is a valid 4test keyword, how's that for simplicity?

now for us to better help you, if you could just provide a little more detail about your problem and if you could send us a minimal code snippet of the one you're having problems the better.

thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fact that you cannot reproduce it manually, then i suspect that this is not your apps problem, maybe silktest, os or browser installation.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What set of code do you suspect the code is crashing at? Maybe conflict in the call with Slilks' memory scope. What is your JS doing?

How do you actually test your JS?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions....I might not have explained the problem fully, but the reason why I believe it is app problem is.....
    On my home page there is a pull down menu and a toolbar both containing 'Home'. After my first test case if I select 'Home' from pull down menu(or any other selections) then I get this memory issue. But if I select 'Home' from toolbar ... no problem. So my idea was that somewhere in the pulldown menu, the memory was not being released.
    The manual testers are getting this problem sporadically but can not reproduce it.
    The developers do not agree with this idea and want me to confirm its not a SILK issue.
    I have tried on different OS browsers
    ...same result..
    Anybody has any clue...Thanks in advance

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a GetContents on the dropdown

print(BrowserPage.HtmlPopupList().GetContents())

Check that out.

Also when you say "sporadically" is that a fact or just some non confident statement?

If you are confident it's definitely an App problem. Anyway I suggest you to debug your script. Put do...except, print, ... Narrow this bug.

What's your home page address. i want to try that drop down.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done the GetContents(). The item I'm selecting is very much there.
    When the manual testers are getting this issue 'sporadically' they were selecting someting or the other from the pull down menu.
    I cannot send the address 'coz my app is on intranet.In my first testcase I select one item from pull down menu (create a client), basically settext for 2 fields...that's it.
    It runs fine. In second one I select 'Home' and boom... error message comes up.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i suggest you run your first testcase manually, then silktest for the second one. if you still encounter the same problem then probably there is something wrong with your app. and maybe we'll be better off if at least you give us some detail info on your environment like versions of os, silk, browser and if you are using VO or DOM.

and to give you additional info: silktest 5.0.3.2 using IE DOM has problems dealing with HtmlPopuplist and HtmlTextField if used at certain order (at least on IE 5.5, we haven't tried this on NN yet). if you first make a selection on a popuplist then used typekeys to set text fields it won't send the keys to the text field, in fact using setfocus() on the text field will not work either. if you carefully look at silk's help file and look for typekeys(), it clearly states that it automatically sets the focus before typing the keys but in the order i mentioned above it's not doing it. so the workaround is to set the textfields first before making any popup selection. and this functionality is doing well prior to 5.0.3.2.

simple things sometimes make things miserable?

thanks.

------------------