SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Parenting

Has anybody used multiple parenting for a DialogBox in SilkTest?

I have 5 applications under test, which use the 'open' dialog. The only different between each is the parent.

I Want to know if anybody has tried and succeeded in setting multiple parents for a DialogBox, or is it necessary to specify this 'Open' dialog box 5 times?

The application is developed in Java and the Open is basically one class.

Jayant

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multiple Parenting

What happens if you comment out the parent?

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, when I do - SilkTest | Record | Window Identifiers, this is what shows up

AEJava.JavaDialogBox("Open").JavaJFCStaticText("Lo ok in:")

while, it sure would be better to have
    AEJava.Open.LookInLabel

I called SilkTest support and they suggested this too, they also suggested 'parent *' and 'parent "*"', but these don't compile at all.

I was wondering, like there is 'multitag' whether someone has been able to work a way to have 'multiparent'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've the same problem with my multiple instances of popup. My popups are phyically equivalent (same size, layout etc.), but the only difference are their parents.

The SilkTest support engineers suggests declaring a new class for the popup (dialog box in your case). For example:

[-] winclass MYPOPUP: DialogBox
    [ ] tag "POPUP"
    [-] Control OK
    [ ] tag "(70, 370)"
    [-] Control Cancel
    [ ] tag "(228, 370)"

So to declare a instance of MYPOPUP, I'll say:

[-] window MYPOPUP AnotherPopup
    [ ] parent "PAPAPOPUP"

Gillian
    p.s. I don't think it's a complete solution, for I've to have multiple names, referencing a physcially equivalent popup...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's how I have declared the standard Windows "Open" dialogbox.

The catch is to wildcard the parent within the tag value.

This works for NotePad, WordPad, and Acrobat Reader with no problems because these apps are all MainWin's. This does not work with MS Word because that's actually a DialogBox class window, not a MainWin.

Also, check-out the online help for "~ActiveApp".

------------------

[This message has been edited by pcostigan (edited 04-05-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi pcostigan, I shall try your suggestion. But Gillian, I did try your suggestion, but was unable to get it working... I also tried writing a function which would returning a JavaDialogBox, well I would only suggest that you don't try what I did. What happened as soon as I clicked Compile is that SilkTest crashed completely. It kept giving me an error dialog saying 'cannot read memory'.

I had to uninstall and reinstall SilkTest. And after going thru' the whole set of configurations for testing my apps. But there are still some problems with testing.

So if anyone has been able to successfully declare a function of the same type as I have, returning a DialogBox... well let me know whats the trick.

thankx
    Jayant

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you all realize there is a very active post on this topic just a few posts prior to this one. Lots of ideas being bounced around. check it out.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It shouldn't be too much difficulty to have multiple window declarations for the Open dialog, one for each possible parent. If you declare a new WinClass which contains all the dialog's controls and methods, then you can have five different window declarations, all of this form:
    (where your app is called App1, and the winclass has been given the name GenericOpenDialogClass).
    This way you have your five separate window declarations, but without the effort of separate maintenance for each (because all the code which might require maintenance is contained in the winclass declaration).

------------------