SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iexplore.exe crash when selecting HtmlPopupList??

This problem is strange since it just started to happen yesterday. When I select anything from any HtmlPopupList using code such as:

window wObj = RFQForm.HtmlTable("#2").HtmlColumn("#4").HtmlPopup List("$shp_to_oid")
    wObj.Select("#2")

The PopupList opens, the item is selected, and the Browser hangs with the popup still open and the item selected.

Here is the configuration I am under:

Windows 2000 (was without any patched, installed all patches and updates to try to fix this issue)
    IE 5.01 SP 2 (was on SP1, upgraded to SP 2 to try to fix this issue)
    SilkTest 5.0.3.2 (uninstalled and reinstalled this morning to try to fix this issue)

At first I was thinking that some file got corrupted or overwritten (I haven't installed anything new in a few weeks). However, this morning I tried the same code on Windows NT SP5 using IE 5.01 SP2 and SilkTest 5.0.3.2 and had the same exact problem.

Thus, this points me to a problem with how the code is being used or some problem with SilkTest, using DOM and the method I am using it (which is shown above). SilkTest must be "seeing" the object, since it does open the popup and select the second item. It then freezes at this point and iexplore.exe crashes.

Has anyone encounted this before? Anyone have any suggestions or solutions that might help me get past this?

------------------
    David Genrich
    Blackhog
    932 Hamlin Court
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    dgenrich@blackhog.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: iexplore.exe crash when selecting HtmlPopupList??

1) do you get this error manually?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the problem does not happen when tested manaully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I think I got this solved. I changed the code slightly and now it doesn't crash (which tells me it is a SilkTest bug).

Here is what I am doing now that works:

Very strange...

------------------
    David Genrich
    Blackhog
    932 Hamlin Court
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    dgenrich@blackhog.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the same problem on NT/2000 but only when testing Netscape 4.73. The item never gets selected. The mouse pointer moves over the HtmlPopupList, clicks, and then the browser freezes. Then you must end the netscape.exe process in Task Manager to close Netscape.

?????

-George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The above workaround worked for a few rounds, then started crashing iexplore.exe again. Back to the drawing board.

This is looking to be a bug if using straight DOM with an HtmlPopupList. Initial tests of using the following "seem" to be working:

(lines above for "window wObj" broken for readablity)

[This message has been edited by davidg (edited 03-29-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, that doesn't stand ground either.

here is the error signiture (win2k feature?) that is being generated:

So, it does look like it is with the QA Partner Helper DLL.

I'll wait until I find something more solid before posting more on this thread.

If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Blackhog
    932 Hamlin Court
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    dgenrich@blackhog.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, one more...

Oddly enough, Segue calls the "qaphlpr.dll" file an "Silk IE4 helper file" (viewing properties on the DLL). Since IE 5 DOM is being used, I would think that the IE4 helper file would be out of date?

SL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the exact problem on NT/IE5, called Segue support, they told me to use TypeKey(). And it worked very well. I found out that in my case as long as the HtmlPopupList is not popped up, IE wouldn't crash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a very similar aborting problem that the debugger attributed to qaphlpr.dll, and got nowhere with Segue as far as solving the abort goes, but they did tell me that "qaphlpr.dll" was a required file for the DOM extension (the file information indicating that it is for explorer v4 is apparently just because they haven't updated this information from version to version of the file... that certainly makes you question their thoroughness, doesn't it!?)

I made my problem go away completely by a) changing browser options back to default, and b) overriding HtmlPopupList to use primitives to do the Select, so I never actually call Segue's PopupList::Select method. This has the added benefit in DOM of actually having the correct GUI events occur so that if you have any javascript updates associated with the HtmlPopupList events it actually executes. I was having the additional problem of my javascript events not occuring because whatever DOM method they are using to select the list not only causes an abort in some cases (aparently) but definitely doesn't trigger all of the same events that selecting a popuplist item manually does, and this was breaking my web application. Bunk.

The override that I used for HtmlPopupList::Select is simple, but requires defining the temporary listbox that pops up when you click the list button a little something like...
    [-] window ListBox lbComboTemp
    [ ] tag "[ComboLBox]$1000"

and the click for the lisbutton is:
    [+] InvokeList()
    [ ] this.Click(1, ((this.GetRect()).ySize - 5), 10)
    [ ]

then the override becomes:

[+] Select(LISTITEM lItem)
    [ ] integer iItemIndex = this.FindItem(lItem)
    [ ]
    [ ]
    [+] do
    [ ]
    [ ] this.InvokeList()
    [+] if lbComboTemp.Exists()
    [ ]
    [ ] // cmk 3/29/2001 - The combo box only exposes indexes, must use index from
    [ ] // html listbox object.
    [ ] lbComboTemp.Select("#{iItemIndex}")
    [ ]
    [ ] Browser.WaitForReady()
    [+] except
    [ ]
    [+] select
    [+] case ExceptNum ( ) == E_ITEM_INDEX_INVALID
    [ ] logerror("{this}::Select: Item '{lItem}' was not found, and could not be selected.")
    [+]default [ ] reraise
    [ ]

I have used this override with good results -- all events occur as expected, no aborts, and it actually even runs faster. Happy scripting...if you have any specific questions on this, feel free to email me...
    -craig

------------------
    Craig Koozer
    QA Engineer
    NetLedger, Inc.
    Craig Koozer
    Lead Test Automation Engineer
    www.oraclesmallbusiness.com