User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Active Window and Screen Saver

How to automatically (using SilkTest) make windows are enabled or active before interacting with them after sleep (7200) if Screen Saver was invoked due this time. As usually Screen Saver de-activates GUI applications.
    Tried SetActive, SetFocus methods.

Regards,
    Olga
    Olga

Re: Active Window and Screen Saver

I'm not too sure why you would want your test to pause for two hours, but I would dissable the screen saver and shut the monitor off if burning the screen is an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Olga,

It is mentioned somewhere, maybe in the Training materials, to disable Screen Saver when running your automated scripts (it does not matter which Test Tool you use).

Instead of sleep (7200) or other big number, you can try the while...loop and to check for a certain condition and just set the sleep to a much smaller number like 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, John.
    That is the same what I did (disabled the screen saver). I was surprised why my test failed this morning and never thought that Screen Saver can interrupt the test. So, it should be as a precondition for users who run SilkTest scripts.
    Actually, I am new in Automated Testing. We are testing Digital Set-top boxes. In my case, to test memory leak of set-top boxes I need to send certain commands to STB (Set-top Box) with interval 2, 4, 6 and 8 hours and after this read info from the other device’s log file. Every time command is sent to the different set of STBs.
    Is there is other way of delay then sleep( ) function?
    Thanks, John.

Olga
    Olga

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we're on the topic --

Is there some sort of API call or Silk function to enable/disable the screensaver on a Windows platform?

Nigel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well,
    I really appreciate you advice and want notice that using loop to prevent screen saver from activating works and gives me ability to continue the test.

Thanks,
    Olga.
    Olga

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nigel,
    I couldn't find anything in SilkTest about function that enable/disable the SCREEN
    SAVER.
    So, I think you are right we have to use API calls to do this. But I never used API calls and would be happy if you give me idea how we can use it within a test script and where to read about this.
    I am going start another topic. It is API calls and SilkTest.

Thanks for your idea.
    Olga

Olga

There is no API call to disable/enable a screen saver. However, I have included a snippet of code for determining whether or not a screen saver is enabled. You can call the IsScreenSaverActive() function when you execute your other script "preflight checking" functions.

If the IsScreenSaverActive() function returns TRUE, then you can abort your testing with an error warning that the screen saver should be disabled.

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

[This message has been edited by Tony Mrozinski (edited 03-29-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a dll I wanted to attach to this post that will allow you to do whatever the heck you want to do to your registry. This would allow you to enable or disable your screensaver at will.

Unfortunately, the board doesn't allow the uploading of a dll. If you want this dll, let me know and I can email it to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About shutting the monitor off. This could be something specific to the CMOS on the machines that I use, but I have found that I cannot do that. If I power down the monitor or if I let the machine's energy-saver turn it off while a script is running then my scripts literally just "pause" forever, until the monitor comes back. I'm not kidding about the use of the word "forever". I have had scripts literally pause from Friday night until Monday morning when I jiggled the mouse and kicked the screen back "on", at which time the script simply continued running. There was no SilkTest timeout which leads me to believe that the OS itself was actually in a "suspend" mode (like a laptop has) or something like that. I add this info only as a caution, in case you run into the same thing.

About the screen saver disable stuff. Just earlier today I was catching up on my reading (after being on vacation) and came across 2 or 3 other recent posts about this. Search for them and you will have your answer about disbling the screen saver. I simply setup all of my machines to not use screen savers at all and thus I don't run into the problem.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast