SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Scripts fired by PHP3

Hi all

Im looking into putting together a regression pack of scripts for a client that can be ran from a web page. (non technical testers)

The testers would hopefully be able to execute a script and then view the results from the web page

I have heard that you could do this with Php3.

Have any of you come across this before and if so any tips on how to do it....

ta in advance

martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Scripts fired by PHP3

Reading from www.php3.net, they say PHP3 is just a set of tags withing HTML that let your web page do interesting things.

Hence you can run SILK from a command line within a web-page, and return a result page by writting a result page template(where you stick your result within predefined html tags).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done this!! :-)

I wrote a page in PHP4 that would contain all the options of the test script, and were selectable on a HTML page (built by of course PHP4) which Silk Test would read in all the options selected and then run the script how the user required.

The only thing is I tried to execute Silk Test from a button on the web page, using PHP's ability to execute command line stuff, however it was unsuccessful in executing Silk. It wasn't a problem with Silk, must have been an error in my configuration of PHP because it wouldn't execute anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple stupid things to try.

1)run silk from command line manually
    2)now try to run a command line like "dir" from your web page.

Now if in 2) you can't succeed then you did something wrong. Otherwise there might be a setting problem.

ex. is your pacth for silk correct.

Any chance of getting some code snippits for the PHP as Im still getting into it...

thanks in advance

martin

------------------
    Martin Croft
    Select Red Ltd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attached to this message is a sample of the PHP code I have used which just populates a ListBox, by grabbing data from a txt file.

I created a silk test script to go into the site I was testing and grab all the available options on the site and then write them to this file. The PHP page allows the user to streamline the tests by allowing the user to select the required options available. Then Silk Test needs to read whats selected and run the appropriate testcases.

I'm not sure what sample code you was expecting, but I think you should look further into the PHP sites and forums available.

Look at the tutorials on www.webmonkey.com as your starting point for creating your first php page. Once you've got a feel for it and know how to embed it into your HTML, then move over to www.php.net

------------------

The client Im working for has a load of UAT testers who would benifit from being able to run silk scripts that have been used within the system testing phase.
    Im expecting these scripts not to be to complex then to just be able to run them striaght from a web page... Sounds alot simpler than your example. But we will see.

When im finished Ill post the whole framework up for all to comment on

Having used PHP3 for a while PHP4 does give greater access to the command line and other apps....

regards

martin

------------------
    Martin Croft
    Select Red Ltd