SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ICLContainerxxxxxxxx

Why these containers cannot be classmapped, what happends when You are trying to map them??? Are You saying nothing shows up whan you go to mapping utility??
    dd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, my mapping utility is working fine. It's not that I can't map them. I can map them to anything. They just don't work when I do.

In one app an ICLContainerLDetail might look like a treeview. In one of the other apps, an ICLContainer object might look more like a list box or. These containers are generally used for display of information in a row/column sort of format, like a spreadsheet with indiscernable cells.
    I've tried mapping them as tree views and as static text and everything I could think of, including this "LookUnder" class and nothing seems to make them work.
    From what I can ascertain from developers, a container control holds the other standard controls. I think this somehow masks the container's contents from SilkTest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's probably the same scenario as testing Delphi apps. You can class map for example a Delphi grid/table to Table but, it's not going to work properly (methods/functions for use with Tables won't work) or if the developer decides to use bitmaps to represent some Buttons (with Labels/Captions in them) that SilkTest does not see at all.
    Well, you're gonna have to:
    1 - use low-level 4Test events relying on coordinates or use keyboard interface (Tab, Arrow Keys, Page Up, Page Down, etc. whatever your application responds to other than mouse clicks)

2 - maybe investigate the use of the EK (Extension Kit)

or even

3 - Using SendMessage with the Clipboard

The Borland VCL (Visual Component Library) is similar to MFC in that all of the classes of objects that Delphi can create are in this library. Instead of C++ it is written in Object Pascal. Borland ships the VCL source code with the product. In the VCL source, you can go to the definition of the object class that you want support for and add message handlers (windows API messages that is) for various messages that you define.
    For example: Add a message handler that says, if any object of this class receives a message called "QAP_GetValue" get the contents of the listbox and send a message back to the process that sent the message and send it the value. On the QAP side of things you define a new class to support the object and add a method that sends/receives the message to the supported object. Here is some sample code for this:

Message handler on the Delphi side (sample only to pass on the general idea):

procedure QAP_GetValue (var Msg: TMessageRecord); var
    ValueToReturn : string;
    begin
    CopyToClipBoard;
    Msg.Result := true;
    end;

Window class on the 4Test side:
    winclass DelphObj : Control
    LIST OF STRING GetContents ()
    if (SendMessage (this.hWnd, QAP_GetListContents, NULL, NULL))
    return Clipboard.GetText ()
    else
    RaiseError (1, "Couldn't get the contents of {this},
    SendMessageEvent not processed correctly")
    ---
    For item #3 -- this is just a sample 'coz I know you are not dealing with Borland's Delphi.
    For item #2 -- sorry, I have not use EK. I heard it works though.
    (I received this info from Segue Support awhile ago and following item #1 has provided me all the work-arounds to Delphi testing so far!)

Hope it gives you a couple more ideas...

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 03-23-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ICLContainerxxxxxxxx

I'm relatively new to testing and have only been using a SilkTest for a few months. I have a development background but the application suite that I am attempting to automate is quite complex. The applications are developed in VAC++ and JAVA with calls to browsers (IE and NS).

I've had quite a bit of customwin problems that I have successfully worked around. My most recent problem is that SilkTest sees some Visual Age for C++ developed objects as ICLContainers (ie: ICLContainerLDetail, ICLContainerRColumnTitle, ICLContainerxxxxxxxx...). These ICLContainers cannot be classmapped and are, as such, invisible to me.
    I've heard that SilkTest can possibly "hook" into the objects by using the associated .dlls and was hoping to explore this further. This prompted me to inquire on a VAC++ newsgroup. I found that VAC++ sees IContainers but no one had ever heard of an ICLContainer. (IContainers are used as containers into which a developer would place other standard controls.) Also they tell me that such a .dll (to allow reading of data in a container) does not exist.
    I then heard about an unsupported SilkTest Standard class called "LookUnder" that will supposedly look under the container control into the controls underneath. I have not been able to make this work.

So it's back to the drawing board.

Has anyone used SilkTest to test Visual Age for C++ apps? Has anyone ever come across an ICLContainerxxxxxxxx control and successfully dealt with it? Has anyone ever heard of, or used the LookUnder class in a classmap?

I think I've finally come to a point where I cannot continue if I don't find a way around this problem.
    Ideas, anyone?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coordinates seem unreliable at best and I don't think they'd work for me here. What I'm attempting to do uses 2 windows with a tree view in each. You have to open all parent items in the tree and double click on the children items in one window to move them to the other window (kinda like a windows ftp app that copies files from one window to the other). So, if I could detect the number of items in the tree view, maybe I could fake the double clicking by coordinates. But I'd also need to be able to detect the difference between a tree view's parent and children items because double clicking on the parents just opens them to allow access to the children.
    The first thing I thought of was the Extension Kit but my initial inquiries quickly unearthed that the EK is supposed to be extremely difficult to use, as well as expensive. We only have a trial license of SilkTest and, though Segue claims it is not their practice to hand out evaluation licenses for it, I did manage to get a password out of them that was supposed to work with the EK install on the CD. But it didn't work and they couldn't help me further. I'm guessing the EK will not come into the picture.
    If I had better access to the source, some variation of the SendMessage/Clipboard solution might work. But I don't. Some of the issues that I have come across may be related to the PMCompatible setting being set on in some areas of the code but I have been informed that this will not be changed. I believe the use of PMCompatible in some areas makes the use of Windows Messaging unavailable.

I will probably try and see if I can use some manipulation of coordinates and keyboard to fake a relative positioning type scenario but I don't think it will be a satisfactory solution.

Thanks