SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Browsers

My team is currently look at testing multiple browsers. Some of the members stated that they have not been able to use the same script for different browsers. It has been our understanding that this is possible to do but it does not seem to work as pretty as we expected. Has anyone experienced this in the past or had success using the same scripts with multiple browsers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multiple Browsers

I've used the same scripts on Netscape 4.7 and IE 5.0.5..
    I recorded them on Netscape. I did have to add a tag or two to the frame file where the script could not recognize an object while running IE. I also had to add a few do ...excepts in some cases where my ScrollIntoView did not work on IE. Of course , I only had a few testcases set up, but they ran consistently after the above tweaks were implemented.

[This message has been edited by janek (edited 03-22-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A couple of years ago, a co-worker and I attended a Segue Silk Seminar/Demo and we saw the same frame files and script files were loaded/executed in both IE and NetScape (the earlier versions of course) successfully with little or no modification at all.

Pal
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to record on Netscape. Then run on Netscape and Internet Explorer. Recorded on IE not working correct on Netscape.
    Thank you
    Pal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting topic.

I don't understand why recording in IE will not work properly in NS, but the other way around is the cool?

Web based software doesn't change captions and ID# over browser differences. So what is the catch here?

I am quiet optimistic about this issue, since I am scripting for IE and will use the same script for NS. Hope God is with me

Pal
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Godknows
    I am testing on IE and NS. Would you explain me how you do record on IE and run on NS.When I run on NS, it does not recognize properly and test fail.But when i do record on NS and run on IE, it works. Need to read Silk Test Release Note-Known issues and workarounds-When using Internet Explorer.Write in detail how it works.
    Thank you
    Pal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KKoski,

I've never done anything but test in multiple browsers. Our mandate is that there be one script that works with all browsers. The vast majority of the time, this works beautifully, however, on occasion you must have a boolean value (e.g. if IE) for specific situations where one browser may behave a bit differently.

We have a script template and some specific functions in a shared include file that will cycle through a list of potential browsers kept in an ini file and run the full script against those that are set to true.

If there are issues with object recognition between IE and NS, try using multitagging in your declarations. Also, don't allow browser-specific naming in your include file or script. Rather than Explorer.Object.Whatever.Click(), use Browser.Object.Whatever.Click()