SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do I get the version of the exe I am testing

Hi all, I hope I am not repeating a new topic here...but Ii searched and cannot seem to find any info on this.
    I am trying to get the version number of the application I am testing. I don't want to do this going into the help\about dialog and getting the static text off the version number from there. I don't want to open the app at all.
    I would like to just use the exe path and get the version numbers that way.

I know there is some API calls to use to do this but I cannot get them to work under silk???
    Anybody have anything that does this or any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: how do I get the version of the exe I am testing

Try the GetFileVersion download. Go to Downloads, Segue, there's a bunch of stuff there worth investigation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: how do I get the version of the exe I am testing

Yes, thanks Brian for the info on that DLL. I can use it, but I would like to be able to see the code, better all around for anybody using my automation and I can change the code if there are any changes\updates to the OS it is running or on Application. My little pet peeve I guess I don't like to guess at what a dll somebody else wrote is doing...I like to see the code and be in control of the code that is going into my automation

I built all my own version calls(exe version, os version, dll version etc) using API calls in VisualTest. Worked really well and I could control how they worked escpeically under NT4 as it was very tempermental when using API calls. Now that I am building a new autmation engine using silktest I want to use all the API calls I used in VT to use in silk...but, silk has syntax I am a little confused with at the moment when it comes to loading a API call.

So now you all got a little background with what I am trying to do..anybody have more ideas???

thanks again,

james