User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest doesn\'t detact webpage control

Hello,
    Please help!! I've been trying to record a frame using Silktest. But seems like Silktest doesn't see any of the control in the webpage. All it sees is the static text. It doesn't see any of the text fields or button. I believe is my configuration problem in Silktest, but I couldn't find out why this is happening.
    Thanks for your help in advance,
    --Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Silktest doesn\'t detact webpage control

The only recommendation I can give you is to go through the Tutorials as well as the SilkTest Installation/Setup documentation/manuals. Even if someone gives you a solution to your current problem with the "webpage detection", most likely, you'll be having another problem in the very next step. From the Online Help, read up on topics "Testing Web Applications using the DOM extension" and "Testing Web Applications using the VO extension". You may want to look at the Release Notes also regarding these topics (assuming you have SilkTest version 5.0.3.2).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My recommendations:

Settings I have:

use path:
    c:\program files\segue\silktest\

use file:
    extend\explorer.inc,extend\browser.inc

Select IE and VO in Option|Entension
    and in Extension Enabler(in your app folder)
    they are two different stuff(I don't know why)

{things to try}
    1)if your controls are in a table, disable the table.
    2)Use Record|Window Declarations
    to see what kind of controls you have and there infos. You can always manipulate what you see using this tool.

3)Use Record|Action
    record your tasks and check if that works.

Hope that can get you started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's not the primary topic here, but I can answer the "I don't know why" question regarding the Extension Enabler in the previous post.

The Extension Enabler if the tool you use to setup the extensions for the SilkTest Agent. For SilkTest itself, you setup the extensions in Options > Extensions. So each of the 2 applications has its own settings.

The settings for the Extension Enabler (for the Agent) are stored in extend.ini. The extension settings for SilkTest itself (via Options > Extensions) are stored in partner.ini. Both of those files are located in the SilkTest installation directory.

This seems a bit cumbersome at first, especially when you're sitting at one machine where you run the Silk scripts on that machine. It starts making more sense when you consider an environment where you are running tests remotely. In that case you need SilkTest and the Agent to be able to be configured individually. That's what the Extension Enabler provides.

Related Tip: A SilkTest "guru" friend told me this one. There's no rule that says the Extension Enabler can have only one browser "enabled" at a time. So if you plan to be switching between browsers (IE and Netscape) within your scripts, setup the Agent (using Extension Enabler) to have both IE and Netscape "enabled" then you don't have to deal with the Agent settings at runtime. I haven't tried it, but this approach may possibly work for other extensions than just the IE and Netscape browsers.