User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing w/ 4Test Language....training

Hi,
    I have been doing manual testing for quite sometime and now planning to move to automation.

My company is currently using SILK.

Iam not a programmer but familiar with coding(C/C++).

I was going through the SILK site and found
    "Testing w/ 4Test Language" training listed. Iam wondering if anybody has undergone this training.

How much has it helped?? If its just recording and playback they teach, is it worth the time and effort??

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Testing w/ 4Test Language....training

If you have visited www.segue.com and did not find your answer, you can try calling Segue and ask for the department in-charge of training. I think they should be able to tell you what each class of 4Test covers.
    When I went to these classes (years ago), I don't recall it being just a record and play. I don't know where you got that idea but, if that's the case, how would you be able to get to the more Advanced classes if you don't know the scripting part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there. . .

I went to Segue's Testing with 4/Test class back in October of last year. The class was good, but desinged for client/server applications only. The first lesson you use the recorder, but after that it is purely scriping by hand. I understand that they now offer the same class based on a web application. Keep in mind that there web pages are very simplistic and don't take advantage of some of the latest development technologies. Something I found of this site helped me, was a Framework set by Terry Howarth off of the Segue download section. It's a place to start anyway. Good luck with your testing effort.

------------------
    Tammy Stokes
    Tammy Stokes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, let me state that I am a MAJOR advocate of training on any tool. SilkTest is extremely powerful and a teach-yourself approach is not cost-effective at all. Take the courses - go to Segue's courses or you might also want to look into what's available from local consultants.

It's been awhile since I myself took Segue's training classes, but I have sent new users to them. The first class is "Foundations" and is definitely the beginner class. There is some record and playback done there but there is also a lot of emphasis on Silk basics (foundations!) such as the frame file, recovery system, window decs, etc. Foundations is taught on a client/server app or a browser-based app - you pick which class to go to. At this level it really doesn't matter all that much.

You get into the good stuff in the second course, which is the one you referenced. If you haven't done the Foundations course then I strongly suggest you do that first. Foundations and "Testing" are often taught back-to-back (Foundations Mon-Tue then Testing Wed-Thu) to accomodate "students" who have a programming background and are thus capable of taking both courses this close together. THis is how I did it. In "Testing" you get down to hand-scripting, with still a little bit of record and playback.

After that there are some advanced-level courses. Back when I took them it was one "Advanced" course which covered what is now separated into one course for custom objects and one for object-oriented testing. Also now where's a 3rd Advanced class for testing Java objects. These advanced courses are big-time hand-coding - the stuff all programmer-types want.