SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recording Windows taskbar Start / Run

I am recording a script which clicks on the Windows Start Button and then Run.
    Silk seems to be having problems.
    All it generates is :

[-] recording
    [ ] // WARNING: MenuSelect (151, 675, "#10") not recorded - unable to find target window
    [ ] Taskbar.SetActive ()

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Recording Windows taskbar Start / Run

Hi Raul

I have had this problem and I think Silk is confused when u try to access something on the taskbar when you have a lot of Windows open. Probably u can try doing those by keeping the other windows except Silk closed/minimized.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a copy of the BOOLEAN RunProgramUsingStartMenu(string sProgramPath, boolean bStopTrying optional) function I use in projects, it works 99% of the time (the other 1% is SilkTest Agent not being able to set the taskbar active)

See attached zipfile to get the runprogram.inc and demo runprogram.t file.

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 03-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 03-12-2001).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

This is not an issue with the number of open windows. Silk is unable to recognize the contents of the Start menu. The following is an excerpt from SilkTest Help:

The TaskbarWin class defines one object, the PushButton Start, which is the Start button on the taskbar. You can select items from the Start menu, but only by using an index value (the text of the items on the Start menu is not available to SilkTest). For example, the following statement selects the fifth item on the Start menu:

Taskbar.Start.PopupSelect (10, 10, "#5")

However, because each machine is likely to have a different Start menu and because each machine's Start menu can change at any time, accessing the Start menu this way is likely to be reliable only on one machine and only for a short time.

-----

Why not use the Start() method to pass the command line parameter to launch your application?

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... I develop my Silk code on Windows NT4/SP5 and NT4/SP6a Workstation and haven't done much with other OS's (yet!), in case that matters. I have a window dec for the Run dialogbox. Its Invoke method uses the hotkey "R" and looks like this:

Taskbar.SetActive ()
    Taskbar.Start.Click ()
    Taskbar.Start.TypeKeys ("R")
    this.SetActive ()

So far I have not had any problems with this approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folks:

pcostigan is correct. I used these code before, and I had no problem(in NT/WIN2k).
    Just don't stick the 'Start' part.