SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I prepare to learn SilkTest?

I've been doing automated testing on the VAX minicomputer for several years now, so I am no stranger to automated testing. But, in a few months we will start porting our application to a client-server setup using an RS-6000 (Unix and NT). We will probably be using Silk as a test tool on our PC front ends. Since I am pretty much a neophyte at Windows programming, can anyone suggest what I might learn now that will help me learn Silk later? Would learning Visual Basic give me a good grounding in the Windows environment? Anything else? Thanks for the help and advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How can I prepare to learn SilkTest?

Any programming experience would help, but if you want something similar to Silk, take a class in C/C++.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My belief, if you've done automated testing already and are somewhat familiar with programming, is that the best way to learn Silk is to get your hands on the Silk Tutorials and UserGuide, and practice with Silk's sample app. Go through the sample app with Silk's step by step tuturials, then try some of your own variations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

michele,

You may also want to search (in this forum) for "qaptrain.exe", a QA Partner (old version of SilkTest) tutorial by Tony V.
    It's pretty good (could be even better if the scripts were shown using the Visual 4Test! where lines of codes are color-coded).

For your concern on the Windows environment, a very good helper would be books like "The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design" from Microsoft Press.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 03-09-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest's programming language is called 4Test and it is very C-like so if you're looking at taking a formal programming course take on in C/C++.

Might also want to cekck out Automation Expertise's web site for SilkTest tutorials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

michele,

"...for a little encouragement on learning SilkTest..."
    One of my former QA Partner instructors, David "the sky diving" Reed once said "If you know how to construct English sentences, you'll have no problem constructing 4Test or SilkTest scripts.". He also told us that he is an English major and that once he saw sample lines of scripts like:
    NotePad.File.Open.Pick ()
    Find.OK.Click ()

and after picking up some programming tips and going through the QA Partner Reference Guide each time he took the train ride to work, he was automating tests like crazy. One lunch break, I even saw him automating the Solitaire game where he never lost a game (from running the same script, of course!).