SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting started testing web apps with SilkTest

I am new to the testing world. The company I am working with purchased Segue's products last May, but no one has done anything with them.

I recently picked them up and have been playing around with SilkTest and SilkPerformer. I took a 4Test class and am trying to make since of how to utilize the tool. The class was strictly using a client/server based application where everything was pretty stable, however the applications that I am testing are very complex web based applications that utilize HTML, JavaScript, Applets, Java and an Oracle backend. I am having a hard time converting the knowledge gained in the 4Test class to developing a practical testing script. I am capable of utilizing the recorder function just fine and am even able to write specific methods/functions to capture time/date stamps and read and write to external files/tables. My problem is that the scripts I am creating are unstable, sometime they work and sometimes they error out indicating that a particular object, that is declared in the frame file, is not found. Does anyone have suggestions that will help me make my scripts more stable and reliable?

The documentation helps with specific functions and methods and syntax of how to utilize them but I have not found anything that specifically points me to how to utilize them in a testing script. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a base framework to utilize for each project?

Despartely needing some expert advise,

------------------
    Tammy Stokes
    Tammy Stokes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting started testing web apps with SilkTest

My check list:

1)know your application well
    -you know what is static and what is not
    -so you know where a workaround is needed

2)always think about a workaround if you can't do something using the standard ways.

3)Use the keyboards(TypeKeys()) when you can't access through caption/id identification. Good for static control or a controlled environment.

4)view the source code for html page for insights. Sometimes useful URLs are there.
    Be aware that by bypassing the UI to do something and by submitting an URL instead, is not UI testing(if that's what you are after).

5)Use 'Record|window declarations...' to see how all the controls(button,link..) are defined on the page. Good way to grab all the static controls and reuse them.

6)If you still can't solve a problem then your are on your own. Maybe calling the Tech Support but probably no better than this Forum. Tech Guy:"can't reproduce you error...because..sorry" :P

One tip I learned so far, is if you have links in a table, disable the table so you can access these links directly. Silk has problem seeing tables correctly.

Hope This helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting started testing web apps with SilkTest

Thanks for the tips I will try to see if they apply to what I am working with.

------------------
    Tammy Stokes
    Tammy Stokes