SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest Agent Crashing

I've been experiencing seemingly random crashes of the SilkTest agent. Sometime this results in full machine locking for extended periods of time. SilkTest is currently installed on a clean setup of NT 4.0 with the following configuration: SP5.0, 500Mhz, 328Mb RAM. I am unable to identify root cause and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. Thank you in advance for any input you have on this issue.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest Agent Crashing

I would tell you that SP5 is not supported with Silk.
    Also get used to Agent hangs. They happen often, but should not annoy you too much. They happen when you're in development mode way more often than in production. Mainly that it does not release it's connection, and you having to close it manually then restarting it again.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using SilkTest 5.0 on a Win NT 4.0 system with SP5, no problems. It is not "offically" supported however, since SP5 came out only a few months ago.

I would think there may be some other program on the system that is causing a conflict (even if the other program isn't running). I installed SilkTest on one system, when I run it it just gets a "Overflow error". Believe the problem to be Web Load.

So, if you can, try a system with nothing but Windows, a browser, and Silk.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The agent crashes on me all the time while I am creating scripts (especially when time is of the essence). A colleague of mine finds it occurs when the hard drive has to spin up (it has been sleeping).

But the good news is, we have a script that runs 24 hours a day, running Silk Test 2.1.4 on a NT 4.0 SR 5) and the agent never crashes on that machine and has been known to run up to 96 hours without problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agent crashes are common and I don't know that I have any good answers. My experience it that they seem to occur most often in situations where Silk is trying to recover from an error condition (usually an error in the script). I have also noticed that the object symbol table can be corrupted forcing you to reboot to reinitialize the tables to properly recognize the window objects. The scripts seem to run with much fewer agent issues once the script is debuged. The following seem to help:
    1) Anticipate the most likely program errors and handle them yourself.
    2) Return the application to its basestate before exiting the testcase. Try to avoid using the basestate recovery.
    3) Observe the transitions from one window to another within the program and allow for any irregularities. Sometimes the the application will flip back and forth between windows before things settle. Also, sometimes a window or dialog box will take a second or two to completely fillin. In these instances, depending on the test code, Silk may try to react too quickly and use a window or object that is not active or initialized completly.
    4) I have seen a SQL query in DBTester cause this problem, but it has always been a syntax problem or incorrectly defined database or field.
    5) If it won't negatively impact your test, try to perform an application reset from time to time. I have tended to place this at the beginning of each subplan. I have seen Agent crashes that are either linked somehow to the application under test, or something in the agent is cleaned up in the process of shutting down and invoking the application. This could be unique to this one app, but you wouldn't think the agent would be impacted.