Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\'Read past end of buffer\' error message

Hello.

I am currently using Silktest version 5.0.3. I am encountering a problem with Silk. I am getting a peculiar error message and I cannot seem to find the cause of the problem. (See error message below)

*** Error:Internal error in agent - Read past end of buffer

Has anyone ever seen this error message before, and can tell me what might cause this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: \'Read past end of buffer\' error message

Please give more info regarding your problem.
    Do you encounter the "internal error" message while starting SilkTest or while starting the Agent or while running a script or recording Windows Declarations?
    If this is your first installation, did SilkTest install properly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me see.....

I do believe that Silk was installed correctly. I am currently using IE 5.5.

The problem occurs on a web page displayed through a web portal. The problem occurs when I try to select an item from a selection scroller. If the first item in the scroller is selected, the problem does NOT exist. If any other choices are selected, the chosen item is highlighted, ...then the browser freezes.
    I have to manually kill the browser.

An interesting note: There are, however, two selection scrollers on the page (2 of the same kind). One is at the top of the page, the other is at the bottom. The window identifier identifies them differently though.

There are about 18 total items in the scroller. I tried the following tricks, and they seem to work some of the times.

- Increase the mouse and keyboard delay
    - used Agent.SetOption(OPT_VERIFY_RESPONDING, FALSE)
    before selecting the item in the scroller
    - Issued sleep commands before/after selecting the item.

Is any of this info useful?

thanks again!

jax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

jax,

sounds like you are already doing the right work-around for this problem. The way I did it in one case (a customized Delphi ComboBox) is to use the FindItem () function followed by a Select (iIndex), from the result of the FindItem () followed by a sleep (3) at least. And this whole work-around is within a do..except with the VERIFY_RESPONDING set to FALSE (just like what you are doing).
    You may also want to try the use of the keyboard interface (keystrokes such as the Arrow keys) for selecting your items, if your AUT supports it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilbert, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Getting my script to work would be nice. Actually, I was able to work around it for now. But I am really interested to know what caused the '...Read past end of buffer' error message to appear. I've never seen this before. Do you happen to know what might cause this .

Does anyone know???

[This message has been edited by jaxlee (edited 03-06-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have encountered this problem multiple times but have never been able to isolate the problem to anything in particular. Interestingly, even though I am using the same machine, with the same software, and running the same scripts, when I get this error, I reboot (power down entirely) and then the script runs just fine. Memory leak possibly? My OS - Win2K, Silk 5.0.3. This doesn't offer much help, but the fact that you are not the only one experiencing this may be somewhat comforting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also am getting this error. But I am getting it when I am trying to close the AUT with AUT.Close(). Very strange. Prior to the AUT.Close() i am stating (Verify(AUT.Exists(), true) and then closing the AUT.

I am running 5.032, win2k, and an AUT that is Java Client/Server.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have also encountered this error several times but in our case "Reboot Works !"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In our case, the default recovery system is able to keep the script going. There is no need to reboot. And the AUT is closed. (see above comments) SO it doesn't really affect the testcase other than logging an error that I must now go and verify in the silk results file.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just an FYI - there is no need to call Segue Support about this because they will tell you that IE 5.5 is not supported on SilkTest 5.0.3.2 and that you can either upgrade to ST 5.5 or downgrade your IE to 5.1. We recently had some problems and were told to do this.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast