SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

playback error with links

Hello, I'm using an evaluation copy of SilkTest so I'm a very new user; apologies if this question is remedial!

I'm attempting to use SilkTest against our product GUI which is designed to run on any IE version. The page is mostly javascript (no java) and has drop-down menus when you hover over a link. When you click on a link, it will unhide a section of the same page. At that point, you can click links which perform certain functions such as submit the data or write it to a file.

I encountered problems almost from the start so I broke up the test case and made each step its own test case, hoping to see further details of the problem. I end up with the following sample error for each link which I attempt to test on the section which is unhidden. My thought is that it is because the page hides certain sections and perhaps Silk doesn't know that it's there. To clarify, when I attempt to rerun the test case with Silk, the links are visible to me before I run it through Silk.

Sample errors:
    *** DefaultBaseState is setting Browser active, No window was active
    *** Error: Window cannot be scrolled into view
    [ ] Occurred in Click
    [ ] Called from Test3 at sc_test.t(28)

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Elizabeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: playback error with links

Hi ...

I feel that this may help you...

"Agent.SetOption (OPT_SCROLL_INTO_VIEW, TRUE)"

this will make Silk scroll automatically to view the window....
    (or)
    just add this method before performing any operation on that particular window....

"object.ScrollIntoView ([iXpos, iYpos])"

And about the warning you got....its because the default base state....you just do the following....

appstate SetMyState () basedon none
    if !Browser.Exists ()
    Browser.Invoke ()
    if !Browser.IsActive ()
    Browser.SetActive ()
    Browser.Maximize ()
    Browser.LoadPage ("abcdef.com")

testcase MyTest () appstate SetMyState

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting...I thought I responded to Baseer's reply a couple of days ago but it never posted.

Anyway, thanks, Baseer for your attempt at helping. I did have scrolling checked in the agent's options.

I attemped to add what you provided to define the default base state but encountered a bunch of errors.

For me as a new user of SilkTest, I have not found the program to be intuitive. We've tried testing with various well-known websites and have encountered problems with those.

I think I will talk to the sales person and see what can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct in that SilkTest is not all that intuitive for a new person who has not been trained on it. SilkTest is an extremely powerful programming tool once you learn it. And it doesn't take all that much time, effort, money to learn it properly.

Segue offers courses and there are many consultants who do the same (and many are members of this user group!). The advantage of a consultant's training is that it can be on-site and possibly even tailored to your environment and background. Segue's classes are very good but you have to go to the course (possibly travel), the course uses Segue apps, and there's little opportunity to adjust the pace of the course for your individual needs.