SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

concurrent thread to test the same web app...

Hi:

I was thinking that linear test is kind of long. I read that silktest has the conccurent ability. I thought that might be helpfull to have the independent high level test -just check if each link and button works,ie. one level test- cases to be ran at the same time.

Now I have a couple questions. Since silktest need to have the cursor focused on the app in order to work. How can conccurent thread ran different test cases then?
    How do you start and create a thread? Are these thread from silktest or from window?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: concurrent thread to test the same web app...

First thing to remember when running concurrent threads is that only one thread actually has control at any given time. That is, each thread is time-sliced or interleaved. Unless you disable interrupts with a critical statement each thread will be competing for processor time. You probably won't see any throughput improvement in overall test execution. Also, if timing is an issue, then you may need to reconsider whether you want to use concurrent threads.

You can spawn a thread using the parallel statement or the spawn/rendezvous combination. They are functionally equivalent. Threads can be spawned from a testcase, function, or main.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: concurrent thread to test the same web app...

I actually use multi-threading regularly.
    The competition for CPU cycles between the threads is usually not that significant in my environment.
    Our application spends a lot of time waiting for network or disk access, however -- these delays lend time to the other threads.

We also have a few Windows NT machines with dual-CPUs. We have found these to be particularly effective at distributing the CPU load between the threads.

The main disadvantage with multi-threaded testing is that the SilkTest results reporting does not work the way it is supposed to. You are supposed to be able to sort the results by thread or elapsed time. This works very nicely at first, but once the results get above a certain size, this sorting quits working -- which is a really big pain.

-Rob
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com