SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Need help to evaluate & compare RSW & Silk?

Hello,

We need to purchase an automation tool for our e-commerce web based application.
    Which is based on NT & Microsoft SQL database and we use Microsoft ASP.
    One tool that we have looked at shortly, was the RSW (rswsoftware.com) packages including (e-load, e-monitor, e-tester). Since we don't have too much experience of working with automation tool and scripting extensively, the RSW packages looked attarctive and they made it automated script recording.
    Silk as far as we know, requires a lot of programing.
    If someone can give us the pros and cons of Silk and may be RSW packages, we would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need help to evaluate & compare RSW & Silk?

I tried out the RSW packager and didn't like it. One, the price was even more outragious than SilkTest. Two, and the most important part, it uses it's own browser. If you are doing any client side scripts (JavaScript), you really need to test it in the various versions of IE and Netscape. Not in some custom browser. Another problem, it didn't like some JavaScript and choked. And the really big problem that made me stop testing - my app opens a second bowser window. Since RSW has it's own browser window, it didn't like another browser being opened. It tried to make the "old" page the one in the new browser window.

Also, with SilkTest you can do play and record and it is quite good. I recommend staying away from that route if you want more robust testing (I am big on data-driven scripts). Many people will disagree with me on this and if you want to test with the same data each time, then it would be fine.

With the programming side of it you can do stuff like select a random item, and a random quantity, go back and select more random products at random quanties, then checkout with both good and bad address and credit card data.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Naz
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totaly agree with david, I have tried RSW and I wasn't impressed.
    I think that you are better off with SILK. Since you can create edit and customise your scripts as you wish. Plus, you can run your scripts against a real browser, not like the RSW built in browser.

Good luck.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that there is not better tool on the market right now, other than Silk. I would aslo like to add that if you relay on recorder to do automation, then you better do
    your testing maually, since what you actually do is demo scripts that don't do any verification. You do have to have some codding experience to do good/robust scripts
    but it will come to you as you move along.