SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Declaration File Strategies (w/ dynamic pages)

I would like to automate an application I have been manually testing, and have been struggling with the best way to approach the declarations file creation.

The site is very dynamic, and each page usually has about 6 frames. As one navigates through the site, the pages are very dyanamic, and a great deal of analysis needs to go on for each page to determine the best tags to be used. Quite often, the most important content area on each different page is in the same frame (same hierarchical declarations file position)

The biggest question I have is, once I have struggled with a page and tweaked my declarations file enough so that I can access my objects of interest, and it is then time to navigate to a new page, when learning the new page, which is the better approach:

1. To integrate the new objects into the existing declarations file, and resolve potential clashes in tag names for new dynamic objects that may clash with the recently tweaked page.

(Of course, this problem of resolving clashing tag names gets more and more complicated as new pages need to be learned that have new dynamic objects in the same content frame as previous pages)

2. To look for a way to dynamically load different frame files for different pages, thus avoiding the 'clashing object declarations' problem (I've never tried this - has anyone used this approach, and does the recovery system still work with this approach ?)

Thanks in advance,
    Joe V

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Web Declaration File Strategies (w/ dynamic pages)

I had a similar problem. The tag path to the "main" window was dynamic.

I wrote a recursive function that looked for a unique item of the window I wanted to find on the entire Browser. Then, once that item was found, I extracted the tag from it, and used it as the tag for the window.

I'd be happy to send you the code I used to do that.

mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mark, for your reply. I'd be very interested in seeing the code.

I am quite surprised that this topic didn't generate more responses. Handling dynamic pages is very difficult, and quite common.
    I thought for sure people would have definite opinions regarding a structured approach to creating declarations files.

I suppose this may be one of the artful sides of using Silk which isn't easily discussed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark,

I have a similar problem, I would very much like to see what you came up with. If you could send me a more detailed description or some of the code I would appreciate it.

Thanx,

------------------
    www.assetplanner.com
    www.customerdialogue.com
    B.Wessen@customerdialogue.com
    Customer Dialogue Systems
    www.assetplanner.com
    www.customerdialogue.com
    B.Wessen@customerdialogue.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

We have encountered a similar issue.
    We would like to see the code. Kindly help us in resolving the same by providing some of the code or a detailed walkthrough of it.

Bharathy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mark

Can u please send me the code.

Thanks in advance

Bharathy