SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editing/Re-recording Frame File

I've gone through the whole list of the discussed topics but couldn't find the one I need. Can anyone give me pointers to the following.

I am about to apply my suite of testcases to a new re-designed build. There are many changes in the static labels and in layouts of some of the screens (this is a web app). I know, I'll need to edit (most likely to re-record) the frames for most of the screens. Has anybody come up with a good approach to how to go from a testcase string of identifiers to the corresponding object in the new frame file and to make changes to the identifiers and the tags in the frame such that a testcase remains workable without alterations? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Editing/Re-recording Frame File

Mark,

One strategy a lot of people use is to create a library of functions and methods which can perform the most common activities in your application. Normally, from the user's view, the functionality itself isn't necessarily changing, just the details of implementation. If you encapsulate functionality in one location, a function or method, then you can call the function/method from multiple testcases. When the details change, you only have one place to update.

As far as the details of changed windows, I've often opened two windows side by side, the original window declaration and a newly captured declaration showing. Then you can cut and paste as needed to add and remove objects, change tags and make your identifiers match the original names.

What you're trying to do is probably one of the most challenging and frustrating parts of automation.

John Green
    AutomationExpertise

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Editing/Re-recording Frame File

Simply use variables in the place of tags.
    Put all these variables in a file called Window_Tags.inc.
    This procedure is best followed if you have internationalized versions of the product. It also works best if the GUI changes names. You will only have one place to modify the tags.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.