SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest does not see links w/ a * in the name

I have a Web page to learn which has links that have a * at the end of their name, depending on the time of day.
    For example, the link may be:

ABC (from 10:00am - 5:00pm)
    or ABC* (all other times)

While the recorder can see the link when there is no * in the name, when the * gets added, the link is not seen at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest does not see links w/ a * in the name

Attached in the zip are two files..

silk(1).htm - objects can't be recognized.
    table.htm - objects are recognized.

If it's the same problem I had, it's to do with the placings of your HTML tags.

Compare the source of these files with yours and move the FONT tags about, and you'll probably sort it.

I posted the same question as you on here a couple of months ago. Thanks to Segue support for solving this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I will have the luxury of having the developers change the html any time soon, though I will look into this (provided I can figure out how it should be changed to suit SilkTest).

In the interim, I have attached the html showing the recognition problem - note how Nasdaq is recognized as a link, while DJIA, FTSE, and XETRA are not recognized at all when the Record Window Declarations is placed over them.

Would anyone have a solution other than rewriting the HTML ? I am using silktest 5.0.2.1 w/DOM extention on IE 5.0 sp1.

Thanks again,
    Joe V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends what you want to do with them really... if you want to click the links, then you could get around with using co-ordinates, or if you want to get text or something, then you may need to use a Bitmap comparison as a workaround.

Have a play with the source yourself, then when you get it right, have a word with the developers. Otherwise you will have to have a chat with Segue support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to try using a tag other than the caption for those particular HtmlLinks. Maybe use the location(url) of the link for it's tag.

A reason it may be having a problem is that the * is used as a wildcard for SilkTest, and can be used in tags, so it may be getting confused with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BostonSilk says:"You might want to try using a tag other than the caption for those particular HtmlLinks. Maybe use the location(url) of the link for it's tag."

The URL tag "$http://whatever.htm" is broken in Silktest 5.02? for IE. I also had problems with 5.02 recognizing some links as HTMLTEXT. If I were the user I would either back up to 5.01 or upgrade to 5.03.2. If you upgrade try out the DOM feature vs. the VO feature with IE. If you are running against NS you may need to change some of the runtime option to get Silktest to recognize the windowsID tag (URL tag).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr BeebleMaster,

Thank you for your examples of HTML files where * is recognized, and also where it is not.

My developer took a quick look at the HTML, modified his accordingly, and now the links are always seen by Silk.

This was...A story with a happy ending !!!

Thanks again,
    Joe V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JoeV:

Somehow I have no problem seen links with *. I think you already solved the problem when your developer changed the html format.

Sometimes it's just a semantic thing.