User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions about running testcases: main(), testplan and how

Hi folks,
    I wanted to get your feedback about ways to run about 200 testcases (and growing) as a test suite. I have thought that using one .t file and main() might give more unity to the tests and allow some more flexibility. I currently just want the testcases to run all in IE5 then switch over to Netscape 4.x. At the beginning of the project, I created testplans which I haven't updated with the actual testcases that I've created. I'm also concerned about the variation in testplan vs. 4-test syntax.

My questions are two:
    1) do I just create a list of string of testcase names and have Main iterate through it?
    2) I have not been able to root out the way to switch browsers without using the menus. Any suggestions?

Best,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Suggestions about running testcases: main(), testplan and how

You can set the browser type by using the SetBrowserType function in SilkTest.

Example:
    btOldType = SetBrowserType (netscape4) (see Help for more detail)

I would set up a loop within my main and execute the loop twice. When the loop number changes, change the browser type you are running.

As far as running all of the seperate testcases, list them one after the other in the main. I don't see any reason to crceate a list of string to iterate through them.

Example:
    Main()
    for iLoop = 1 to 2
    testcase1
    testcase2
    testcase3
    etc.

To simplify the running of this many different testcases, turn them into functions and handle any errors within each function with a do except statement and make sure that the browser is opened and closed within each function.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Suggestions about running testcases: main(), testplan and how

Hi,

In addition to what Mike posted, why not use the following loop,

[-] Main ()
    [ ]
    [ ] LIST OF BROWSERTYPE lbtType
    [ ] BROWSERTYPE btType